Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Glass canopy question

Folks,
I read that having a glass canopy is NOT good for planted tanks? I have a 4 panel hinged glass canopy--maybe take a few panels out? I am concerned about jumpers!!
Also--I read in the forum Glosso needs to be planted stem by stem? I took it out of the plastic pots (2) and took all the plant wool out and then put it in tank in two chunks-no good?
FYI--I also bought these fert sticks-- by Nutrafin--"Plant Grow"
Supposed to be good for a year! black plastic tubes with ferts in them.--did I waste a few bucks?
CO2 is next on the list---running 2x65w (12 hrs) in a 55gal with eco complete substrate.
(when I can get a picture to attach I will!!)
Thanks
Cliff NY

Old 02-04-2007, 10:10 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Beautiful tank!
Can you explain why glass canopys are supposed to be bad? Other than the fact that glass tends to filter out the UV light, I can't imagine why they would be bad. I think most people here use them, including myself. I would be afraid of jumpers too.

Old 02-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Many (perhaps a majority?) of folks with planted tanks use glass tops. I don't because I like the easy access and believe that perhaps a bit more light gets through to the plants. Also one less thing to clean. There should be no problem using glass tops on a planted tank.

If you remove them and you have fish like Hatchets, you will find them all dried up on the floor. Mine seem to jump at about the rate of one per week. While I love the marble Hatchets, I will not be replacing them, as I prefer to not have a glass top...
dapellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Some planted tank people will use no canopy at all. However the lighting must be suspended well above the tank. Water and electricity = some bad things.
Old 02-04-2007, 12:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have hatchets in my tank (known jumpers) so I keep the glass top on. I haven't seen any kind of detrimental effect on my plants.
3 head and tail light tetras
4 white cloud minnows
2 marble hatchets
4 poleatus cories
1 freshwater flounder
1 japonica shrimp
4 Otos
flushingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 12:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

glass

Well---Seems unanimous! Glass is ok! I'm glad-less evaporation and no jumpers!

Any advice on the Glosso?
Thanks
Old 02-04-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by flushingfish
I have hatchets in my tank (known jumpers) so I keep the glass top on. I haven't seen any kind of detrimental effect on my plants.
Ditto
Watch our thread! A MyCatsDrool and Travis Simonson Joint Production....55 Tanganyikan Tank. It is hidden in the photography showcase. It is really my tank, but Trav is helping and we live next door from each other...so....

CCTV Has shut its doors. Off the air.
5.5 gal ADA rimless cube, fully planted, killifish breeder. coming soon to a forum near you.
It's called Sex Panther, by Odeon. Illegal in 9 countries. Yep, it's made with bits of real panther, so you know it's good.
MyCatsDrool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 01:52 PM   #8
Algae Fighter

Send a message via MSN to JustOneMore20
Quote:
Any advice on the Glosso?
I've never had Glosso in my tanks, but I believe the reason for planting it a few stems at a time (or stem by stem) is so that it will spread. If you plant it in big clumps, light won't get to the bottom most leaves and they'll end up dying. Planting individually allows the light to reach all the leaves, so it will spread more and make a ground cover. I'd atleast plant it a few stems at a time.

JustOneMore20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:52 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

You can plant Glosso the way you have, but it won't form a nice even carpet. By planting it one stem at a time with tweezers it will fill in a lot faster and will form a nice even looking carpet.

Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canopy, glass

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com