Glass canopy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliffz

Aquarium Advice Freak
Folks,
I read that having a glass canopy is NOT good for planted tanks? I have a 4 panel hinged glass canopy--maybe take a few panels out? I am concerned about jumpers!!
Also--I read in the forum Glosso needs to be planted stem by stem? I took it out of the plastic pots (2) and took all the plant wool out and then put it in tank in two chunks-no good?
FYI--I also bought these fert sticks-- by Nutrafin--"Plant Grow"
Supposed to be good for a year! ;) black plastic tubes with ferts in them.--did I waste a few bucks?
CO2 is next on the list---running 2x65w (12 hrs) in a 55gal with eco complete substrate.
(when I can get a picture to attach I will!!)
Thanks
Cliff NY

Beautiful tank!
Can you explain why glass canopys are supposed to be bad? Other than the fact that glass tends to filter out the UV light, I can't imagine why they would be bad. I think most people here use them, including myself. I would be afraid of jumpers too.

Many (perhaps a majority?) of folks with planted tanks use glass tops. I don't because I like the easy access and believe that perhaps a bit more light gets through to the plants. Also one less thing to clean. There should be no problem using glass tops on a planted tank.

If you remove them and you have fish like Hatchets, you will find them all dried up on the floor. Mine seem to jump at about the rate of one per week. While I love the marble Hatchets, I will not be replacing them, as I prefer to not have a glass top...

Some planted tank people will use no canopy at all. However the lighting must be suspended well above the tank. Water and electricity = some bad things.

I have hatchets in my tank (known jumpers) so I keep the glass top on. I haven't seen any kind of detrimental effect on my plants.

glass

Well---Seems unanimous! Glass is ok! I'm glad-less evaporation and no jumpers!

Any advice on the Glosso?
Thanks

flushingfish said:
I have hatchets in my tank (known jumpers) so I keep the glass top on. I haven't seen any kind of detrimental effect on my plants.

Ditto

Any advice on the Glosso?
I've never had Glosso in my tanks, but I believe the reason for planting it a few stems at a time (or stem by stem) is so that it will spread. If you plant it in big clumps, light won't get to the bottom most leaves and they'll end up dying. Planting individually allows the light to reach all the leaves, so it will spread more and make a ground cover. I'd atleast plant it a few stems at a time.

You can plant Glosso the way you have, but it won't form a nice even carpet. By planting it one stem at a time with tweezers it will fill in a lot faster and will form a nice even looking carpet.

Back
Top Bottom