Glosso

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrianNY

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just bought my first 2 little bunches of this plant at the GCAS meeting last night. The person I bought them from sells many plants on aquabid and I'm sure knows what he's doing.

Each bunch is about an inch and half in diameter and is bound in a lead anchor. He told me to plant them as I received them and they would eventually spread out. Somehow this doesn't seem correct to me.

Any thoughts on the best way to plant them? The substrate is eco-complete. TIA

you could do that but... i dont recomend it. glosso loves light when bunched lower leaves are deprived and generally yellow and get clear and break off. some just slpit into smaller groups. one guy i know on aquabotanics planted his in groups of three stems and he said it spread like nuts. i spit into threes and some 5 bunches and havent seen much yet but my new tank has bigger bulbs and i'm down on wattage, not even one i think, but a higher quality light so....

thats my take

Ive never keep Glosso, so its dififcult to speculate.

From what I have read, Glosso seems to do better if you painstakingly plant it individually and let it spread naturally.

Do a search for member "AquariumFreak" here on AA, Brian. Best I can recall. Freak set up a 90g, controlled pres. CO2, and about 3-3.5 WPG lighting. Some what similar to your set up, Brian.

At any rate, Freak was posting, with pics, weekly progressions of his tank. He had Glosso he painstakingly hand planted. It did'nt take long before the Glosso, as well as, the rest of the tank were growing out of control.

To see the pics, problems and opinions of others is an invaluable learning tool IMO.

Has anyone heard from AquariumFreak lately? Hope all is well.

Thanks for all the help :D I've only got 2.65 wpg so I'm unsure if the glosso will flourish. Gonna give it a try and see.

hey vega, what about trimming height. this one has been stumping me and i've avoided it until i find some more verifiable information :|

I dun trim my glosso vertically at all cause i consider mine is under grow (compared to my lfs). Another reason is i like the current 1-1.5 inches tall glosso carpet.

Glosso will grow in a straight horizontal line as show in diagram, i do cut the stem that inter connect each leaves time to time to make the carpet denser.

HTH

Each Glosso plant consists of two leaves, and will spread and fill in much more quickly if planted either individually or in pairs, with a pair of tweezers. You can bury practically the entire plant with just a bit of leaf peeking out of the substrate, and under good light, they will grow well for you.
In order to keep them short, it helps to give them a hair cut. Just cut them down low to the substrate and they will throw new leaves and re-propagate themselves, again under good light, and especially well with CO2 injection.
They want to grow vertically under less than ideal conditions, but can be trained down if you are patient.

Len

Len

I talked with AquariumFreak for a while yesterday. He has been very busy lately, what with the new wife, new car, work, and a baby on the way. His tank looks completely different now, but still very very nice. As for the glosso carpet, it's gone.... you can check out his Flash animation of how his tank grew in week by week at his website, http://www.aquariumfreak.com. This is what his tank looks like now - http://www.aquariumfreak.com/tank.jpg

I've got two questions about Glosso

1) Is it alright to have a substrate consisting of bigger gravel than something like flourite? Wouldn't it give the roots more room to travel?

2) When should I start seeing the glosso move?

TIA

Not sure on the Q1, as for Q2, I notice new bud grow out on the 6th-7th days. The tank is with 2.8 wpg, ~20-28 ppm CO2, daily Fe fertilizer (Hagen's).

HtH

Hey Brendan,

I was researching Glosso, considering trying to keep it. Aquatic Gardeners Association is a great reference. http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/

Troll through some of the entries over the years and see what lighting, substrate, plant species etc.... they choose. Some very beautiful tanks on this site. Worth a look.

Back
Top Bottom