Glosso

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
glosso planting = less fun than pulling teeth.

I used to have an even more detailed glosso planting article...the link must be on my home machine though.

You'll wanna use tweezers for sure, and tamp down the substrate around each bit you plant, to keep it from floating up.
plant an inch apart, checkerboard style and it'll fill in nicely.

it does need maintenance after it fills in...one reason I eventually ditched my glosso. I get too lazy.

travis simonson said:
Here's another great site with step-by-step pictorials showing how to plant Glosso and several other tricky carpet plants.

Thanks for that site. I've planted them in the 'checkerboard' way that it suggests. My clown loaches keep digging around them so quite a few are now floating, but hopefully they'll get over the novelty soon.

Cheers

wobbles said:
My clown loaches keep digging around them so quite a few are now floating, but hopefully they'll get over the novelty soon.

My African cichlids did the same thing when I first planted Glosso. Just keep replanting it and pretty soon it will take root and become much harder for them to dig up. Eventually they will give up because it's just too much of a hassle for them. Chances are they're looking for snails in the top layer of the substrate just like my Africans were.

Another bit of advice to help your Glosso spread faster: once it starts putting out long runners (four or more plantlets on a runner), you can clip the runners in the middle (leaving at least two plantlets on each side) and each end will put out its own runner, effectively doubling your growth rate and giving you an even thicker carpet. Although some may argue that Glosso grows fast enough as it is and really needs no encouragement :)

Ive been planting twice a day, but i found the real problem. My angels are simply pulling them up. Ive watched them closely, and it appears although they are trying to eat the glosso. Generally speaking i'll spend an hour and a half planting it all, and four hours later its all up again.

Should i take the angels out untill its rooted properly?

Another thought i had was to grow the glosso at the top of the tank in some sort of plastic tray with gravel in it. Once the glosso has taken i could simply sink the plastic tray into the gravel. Hopefully the glosso would be fully anchored and this would no longer be an issue.

Thoughts??? :?: :?:

Back
Top Bottom