Glossostigma?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GLOBAL1

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I read online that people buy "water grass" and get sold all kinds of seeds claiming to be glossostigma, I paid £5 for 300 seeds called glossostigma and after three days germinating they look to be doing well, I germinated around 100 of the seeds and around 70-80 look to be doing quite well, the picture is half the seed germinating, I'll keep you posted and I'll add pictures as they grow. 20170628_224355.jpg

A problem with these Chinese seeds is the plants are generally semi aquatic. Most people have found that once they are submerged they last 2-3 months and just melt and rot away to nothing.

They work great for a quick carpet for say an aquascaping Comp that requires you to get a quick iwaguami scape up and running but for a long term build i highly recommend not using them.

Following along, interested to see your results [emoji106]

images%20(3).jpg just an update, Google shows all glossostigma plants to look like the pictures here, these look to be about an inch high to me, and my plants look like this 20170629_132029.jpg they are about 3 inches high and look like actual grass shoots, I'm planning on setting up a test tank to see how they do submerged in water, I'll update with the making and planting process.

So I made this tray to keep them submersed, it's 12x10x3 inches, not huge I know but it will do, I have it under my turtle tank stand with 2 40w white florescent white lights and a led blue light to promote growth, I'll update in about 2 weeks when I transfer them to this tank to see how then do with more water added. 20170629_160436.jpg

What you have does not appear to be to be Glosso. There should be lobed leaves present. I grew some that were started from a couple of tissue cultures. I had to remove it after a few months because it grew too quickly.
m8fi8Qj.jpg

Yeah I figured that after I googled it, there seems to be a lot of people who buy this seed and receive something completely different, that's why I started this thread, just hoping to raise a bit of awareness for people, don't suppose any of you know what would make a good carpet for a tank?

Yeah I figured that after I googled it, there seems to be a lot of people who buy this seed and receive something completely different, that's why I started this thread, just hoping to raise a bit of awareness for people, don't suppose any of you know what would make a good carpet for a tank?

HC Cuba, Monte Carlo, glosso, dwarf hair grass, chain swords, crypt parva, dwarf sag

Plenty of options [emoji106]

I'm going to guess its easier to grow from seed rather than planting loads of individual plants, your the man I'll have to pick your brain about it in the near future.

I'm going to guess its easier to grow from seed rather than planting loads of individual plants, your the man I'll have to pick your brain about it in the near future.

Nah it's actually easier with plants to be honest. U can do what's called a dry start if your doing a iwagaurmi scape.

Google Tom Barr dry start method and it will give u heaps of info.

Bare in mind most carpets like HC and MC do best with preasurised co2. It's extremely hard to grow a lush carpet without it [emoji106]

Okay cool, little investment there then, those kits look cool I love techy stuff, I didnt imagine plants would need so much work, I looked on Google and can get a fluval 88g kit for £65

Okay cool, little investment there then, those kits look cool I love techy stuff, I didnt imagine plants would need so much work, I looked on Google and can get a fluval 88g kit for £65

What size is your tank? The fluval kits are really only good for nano tanks. If your tanks bigger than 10g you'll want a 5lb bottle with a regulator and solenoid [emoji106]

Its 85 litres, don't know how many us gallons that would be

I'm in the UK, we have paintball here and can get the co2 canisters, I actually have one in my shed from few years ago, I've not been paint balling since my son was born and have sold most of my gear, but I'm sure I have a half full 9oz tank sitting in there

I'm in the UK, we have paintball here and can get the co2 canisters, I actually have one in my shed from few years ago, I've not been paint balling since my son was born and have sold most of my gear, but I'm sure I have a half full 9oz tank sitting in there

Spot on, your best bet would be to get a regulator for that. Should be able to get one from eBay or similar. U may need an adaptor but that's no drama either [emoji106]

Okay cool, loads of hard work to keep me busy then, what's your thoughts on eleocharis parvula? I follow a youtuber called green machine he's an aquascaper and he has used it before and recommends it, looks nice too. He has a website you should check out.

Okay cool, loads of hard work to keep me busy then, what's your thoughts on eleocharis parvula? I follow a youtuber called green machine he's an aquascaper and he has used it before and recommends it, looks nice too. He has a website you should check out.

I've seen his work on Facebook, very skilled aquascaper. Parvula is an awesome plant [emoji106]

I planted them in water and they all died, I think I was sold normal grass seeds, I think the lesson is to only buy from stores or professional websites, never from eBay...

I planted them in water and they all died, I think I was sold normal grass seeds, I think the lesson is to only buy from stores or professional websites, never from eBay...

They are ment to be dry started so you only fill the water to just below substrate level and keep them moist and humidity high. Once they are grown out u can flood it. They still die eventually though [emoji106]

I planted them when they we're about 6-7 inches high, and the water only covered about 1.5 inches of the bottom, I didn't want to drown them to much and make sure the light wasn't to blocked so they could absorbs the light, I'll pit a picture of the seed up so you can see, you know more than me so you can probably tell from the seed if they are ment to be in water

Back
Top Bottom