Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-26-2017, 10:11 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Glossostigma ellatinoides for carpet

Hey, new to the forum here. I have a simple low tech tank right now, but interested in trying some aquascaping and carpet plants. Im maybe a little past beginner now, but learning alot.

I ordered some glossostigma ellatinoides seeds (small leaf) for my carpet. My tank is 7.9 gal. My LED light source outputs 380 lumens. I read online that a high light source would be 40 lumens per gal. My light is also 7500k I believe.

Anyone had any trial and error with this plant? Any advice would be appreciated.
I was just going to try it with soil from the pet store. Im also interested what you think of my light setup. And is Co2 a must? Its a fairly small tank and I got a ton of seeds.

Old 11-27-2017, 02:36 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey mate, seeds are a waste of time, you’ll find they won’t be glosso and they will grow tall and then die out after about a month or so.

Need more info on the lighting, brand etc.

Co2 isn’t a must but certainly helps a lot. You can use excel as a substitute considering the tank is so small

Old 12-01-2017, 06:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Light is nicrew i believe. Not sure what excel is lol, fertilizer? Ill have to check it out
Old 12-01-2017, 08:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatchandRelease View Post
Light is nicrew i believe. Not sure what excel is lol, fertilizer? Ill have to check it out

Excel is a liquid carbon product (co2) it’s my seachem. It increases uptake of fertilisers. If going the seachem route then u will also need seachem flourish, maybe iron and maybe potassium.

Or u can by thrive from nilcoG.com or u can buy the dry salts and use the pps pro method.

All of this takes extensive research so you’ll have abit of homework to do

Remember to follow the golden rule,
More light = more co2 = more ferts.

Less light = less co2 = less ferts.

A nutrient rich substrate is also very handy to have

Tags
carpet, glosso, loss

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com