Going back to a 29gall planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, the venture down the SW road was fun, but at the moment it is to expensive and for other, personal family reasons, I have decided to change the 29reef back to a 29planted. (so if anyone is interested in 22/lbs of figi live rock, let me know I need to get rid of it LOL)
anyways, I have started to look at what I want to accomplish with this tank, and I really want to do it right. I would love to do eco complete but it is expensive 8O LOL so... my question is, layrite? I have not seen it used that often but it is always on the shelves... just curious, if not would just black "tropic moon" sand do well? Though I really want the eco complete, I am continuing to look around
also, lighting, I have a 65watt CF fixture with tons of 10,000k bulbs... I will need 6500k wont I... oy LOL as well as a T5 fixture, with a 10,000k 18watt bulb and a anctic (sp?) 18watt, those will have to be replaced as well I assume...
now, I will probably just do DIY CO2 and dose ferts, but I want to do this right so help set me on the right track
I know in all, the difference in price probably wont be much difference, but like I said, family reasons...
anyways, I would like to get this set up ASAP, I will probably take the SW tank down this week, and just stick the LR in a bucket with powerheads until someone buys it :roll:
all input appreciated

Sorry about the SW. I know how much you enjoyed it.

As for the bulbs. I am running 4 X 65 watts of 10,000k on my 75 gallon rightnow. No problems there.

Really?? well that makes me a LOT happier than I have been all day LOL! Thanks for the input rkilling, I am excited to get back into the planted world though!
edit-also what do you think on the substrate question?

i have one tank with tahitian black moon sand and one with Seachem substrate. they both seem to grow plants equally well. if money is a concern, i wouldnt worry about getting the expensive substrate.

Aww, that sucks Blazey! im really sorry to hear that

Nope. Expensive substrate isnt needed and order some greg watson ferts. They are really reasonable prices. Once you get it all going people here can help you come up with a dosing plan.

What kindof plants are you planning on and what kindof fish are you planning on? I cant wait to see this going up.

Ok, well I will look into the black sand... though not "cheap" I wont have to pay shipping either. if not, I will look at black gravel, that is deffenitly the cheapest way to go, but I still want eco... LOL
I will look into greg watson ferts... never heard of it, have only ever used flourish
plants wise... hmm thats a good question, I would like some swords, apongeton, maybe a little bit of dwarf lotus, maybe some dwarf hairgrass or dwarf sag, cabomba, red temple, crypts, I really dont know LOL
fish... GBR's (a pair, that is a must, no way around it!)
I would like to do a school of praecox rainbow, or congo tetras but that may get pricey, so I am thinking a school of harlequin rasboras and some glowlight tetras or something, and a school of cherry barbs, and of course some coryadoras, and otto's
I am not sure, obviously I cant have ALL of those... just some that I would like!

While you can grow plants in inert substrate, having a nutrient rich substrate just seems to suit the plants better IME. People have different opinions though.....I've personally tried quite a few substrates and I have my favorites.

You could always mix 1 bag of Eco with some black gravel and atleast have some nutrients in the substrate. ;)

As for plant selections...your list looks good. The Dwarf hairgrass would probably grow better in sand than gravel.....and a nutrient rich substrate would be even better. Not sure how it will do under just 65w of light though, as I've only tried it in high light. I have tried Alternanthera (Red Temple) in medium light and it didn't look as good as in high. Just FYI. Could have just been my tank setup though that did it...haha.

As for your fish choices, Congo tetras will outgrow a 29g. They can get HUGE. The Praecox Rainbows would be a better choice if you can get them. Harlequin rasboras are awesome though (and inexpensive). I have a school of 11 in my 29g and they are great little fish. Cories are always winners, as well as Otos. You could get a pair of Rams or Apistos or even a second school of fish, if you liked.

Sorry the SW tank has to come down, but planted is the way to go IME!

It's a proven fact that plants do better with having nutrients given to their roots. Not as much as water column ferts, but it still makes a big difference. The best thing for the plants is having both. A good nutrient rich substrate and dosing the water column.

I will also have to say that some plants use the substrate nutrients more then others. Swords come to mind.

ok, well, hmm LOL
I also have 36watt in T5...
anyways, the substrate will be a problem, I wouldnt mind paying $40 here, its the $10+ shipping... I guess its not to bad...
no matter what way I look at it, eco seems to be the way to go...
thanks for the advice, if I do eco, will 2 bags do it?
also I was leaning toward the praecox rainbows anyways :)
awesome, thanks again for the advice
*edit*- I just ordered the two bags of eco-complete :D

Back
Top Bottom