Going planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishguy1111

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am changing my tetra 10 gallon kit with sand substrate to a planted tank. I want hardy plants, and there are currently no fish in there, and it is not cycled.

What type of lighting does it have? If it's a kit with the normal stock lighting, unless you change it, you will have low light. You can do crypts in the substrate and perhaps water sprite or wisteria, along with Anubia's and Java ferns. With crypts you'll need root tabs as they are heavy root feeders and for the rest just getting a fert like Seachem Flourish Comprehensive to use 1x week after WC's will help them.

Heres some hard plants you can have with pretty much no light.... Hornwart...Java moss, Java Fern, duckweed/ frogbit,

What type of lighting does it have? If it's a kit with the normal stock lighting, unless you change it, you will have low light. You can do crypts in the substrate and perhaps water sprite or wisteria, along with Anubia's and Java ferns. With crypts you'll need root tabs as they are heavy root feeders and for the rest just getting a fert like Seachem Flourish Comprehensive to use 1x week after WC's will help them.

its the normal LED lighting that came with it. the same lights that the current tetra kits come with. i was also thinking stargrass, and/or banana plant/lily, would those be ok?:thanks:

water wisteria and java fern are great, both are hardy plants that grow well without taking over your aquarium. The provide good hiding places too.

Thanks. You have to tie anubias down to driftwood or a rock, right.

Correct. Get some light thread. Get a brown so it blends with the wood. Some say the thread will dissipate but that has yet to happen to mine lol I ended up cutting it when the anubias and java wrapped around. Try to get the roots into a crevis but don't hide the base otherwise it won't grow. It need to be exposed to light. Also, don't keep anubias directly under the light either as it will not be happy. It's a very slow grower so don't be alarmed if it doesn't appear to takeoff cuz it won't lol

Correct. Get some light thread. Get a brown so it blends with the wood. Some say the thread will dissipate but that has yet to happen to mine lol I ended up cutting it when the anubias and java wrapped around. Try to get the roots into a crevis but don't hide the base otherwise it won't grow. It need to be exposed to light. Also, don't keep anubias directly under the light either as it will not be happy. It's a very slow grower so don't be alarmed if it doesn't appear to takeoff cuz it won't lol

Like knitting thread?

Crypts get planted in the substrate and should be given root tabs since they are heavy root feeders.

Btw, what kind of fish is that in your avatar? It looks like a "rainbow" bolivian lol

Back
Top Bottom