Golden apple snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on the variety of apple snail. Some apple snails, commonly called mystery snails, won't eat plants. Others will though.

Apple snail (Ampullariidae) genera and species.

That link gives you a good picture to identify your snail type. Mystery snails won't eat your plants, but other types of apple snails will decimate an entire tank in no time.

Most snails are asexual 'cept nerites i believe, please correct me if im wrong someone. I got mine from Bigpet (petsmart or petco can't remember) and i was told they were sterilized. I'm sure you can find some that aren't.

Bottomfeeder88 said:
Most snails are asexual 'cept nerites i believe, please correct me if im wrong someone. I got mine from Bigpet (petsmart or petco can't remember) and i was told they were sterilized. I'm sure you can find some that aren't.

Apple snails are either male or female. So you need a male AND a female to get fertile eggs. Other snails have both male and female reproductive organs. They don't fertilize them self but all they need is another snail of their own kind and they fertilize eachother.

I'm trying to breed the gold black blue and ivory snails I got from pet-smart will they not be able to breed? I have seen them getting to know each other.....

Bubbles0oO said:
I'm trying to breed the gold black blue and ivory snails I got from pet-smart will they not be able to breed? I have seen them getting to know each other.....

I'm sure they are fine. I'm not sure you could even sterilize a snail :/

Well that is slightly comforting if it was bad advice. The three I have are golfball size or bigger and I have yet to see eggs. Perhaps they're all males.

Lol good luck it's hard to sex them, when I thought I had found which was which of my batch one male was breeding with another assumed male . That was a special day lol

Back
Top Bottom