Good beginner plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I bought a moss ball and it floats? Any way to make it sink I got it from petco is there corks in them?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I bought a moss ball and it floats? Any way to make it sink I got it from petco is there corks in them?

Give it overnight to get water logged. If you don't want to wait squeeze it under water and rhat should sink it

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

View attachment 280207 when plants are showing roots like this is that a good sighn

No it's not the plant trying to grow a new one while its dying it's called a runner and once it grows routs you can cut it from the main plant and plant it

Sent from me quietly wishing I was a fish

No it's not the plant trying to grow a new one while its dying it's called a runner and once it grows routs you can cut it from the main plant and plant it

So overall that's a good think?

So overall that's a good think?

No it isn't a good thing. It means the plant isn't getting one of the essential parts of the plant triangle (light, carbon, and nutrients)

Conflicting I have no clue

Ok lol I'm going to make this very simple

Sometimes plants grow
When they grow a lot they get these things called runners
A runner is the same type of plant but instead of it growing like a leaf it becomes a new plant
This is the plants way of reproducing because they are under water there is no seeds so how do they get more plant you might ask
And I will answer that by telling you about runners

Example #1

Amazon sword is growing a lot and develops a runner

The runner grows about 3-4 roots

This is when you cut the runner from the original Amazon sword

And plant it like you just got it from the pet store

To learn more about runners and removing them from the original plant you could
A. Look it up on google
B. Follow my accurate but
somewhat confusing
Example
C. Look it up on YouTube

Idk what the other guy is talking about but unless your plant is turning yellow,brown , getting holes,white spots or otherwise not looking like a plant it's NOT DYING and yes I can see that your plat has some brown marks here and there but that's normal for live plants

So yes it's a good thing if you like plants

This has been a public service announcement published by fishtank3

Idk what the other guy is talking about but unless your plant is turning yellow,brown , getting holes,white spots or otherwise not looking like a plant it's NOT DYING and yes I can see that your plat has some brown marks here and there but that's normal for live plants

The only time I've had a sword send up runners is when it was dying, I never had a healthy sword send up runners.
Obviously you know more than someone whose been giving advice way longer than you. Toot your horn all you want

My Swords send out runners once they get some Ferts. Root tabs made mine VERY happy. I've had Amazon Swords and Dwarf Chain Swords. Neither did much till I added Ferts.

Hmmm app won't let me add pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a huge sword as tall as the 75g it's in, co2, ferts, and DIY root tabs. Never once in the year I've had it have a seen a runner. Plant is very healthy.

So seeing this conflicting information I'm not sure if we can conclude that it's the plants health that determines whether it has runners or not.

That's mine, it's the huge plant in the middle:

http://imgur.com/deWGoDS

Caleb

I have 2 swords and have yet to see any runners. From what I read on swords before buying any is that they will send up runners but nothing I read stated that runners meant the plant is dying.

From my experience with plants runners are just a propagation method for the plant to produce a new plant. This experience is with normal house plants but I would assume that the sword is just propagating. Once the roots become large enough on the runner you can clip it off and plant it.

I would assume that plants produce runners when they're happy but I've never had swords. I know crypts take some time to get going but when they're really dialed in and happy you can see 2+ runners a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only time I've had a sword send up runners is when it was dying, I never had a healthy sword send up runners.
Obviously you know more than someone whose been giving advice way longer than you. Toot your horn all you want

It doesn't really matter whose been giving info longer
just look it up the plant isn't dying you shouldn't bicker like a child just accept that someone else has an opinion and they might be right gosh

(Ps. Toot toot ?)

Runners are good. Depending on your lighting, ferts, and CO2, the amount of time that it take for the plant to produce a runner/runners varies. A real indication of any unhealthy plant are unhealthy leaves (brown decaying leaves, etc.), so it looks like you're doing well so far.

Runners are good. Depending on your lighting, ferts, and CO2, the amount of time that it take for the plant to produce a runner/runners varies. A real indication of any unhealthy plant are unhealthy leaves (brown decaying leaves, etc.), so it looks like you're doing well so far.

Thank you I'm going to put some substrate for plants for petco beneath my gravel and then after that I'll cut those runners and plant them!

That will be the very next thing I do!

Back
Top Bottom