Good bulbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPXnoob

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm new to the lighting aspect of my tanks. I've never really done plants before besides java moss and java ferns which grew amazingly in my naturally lightened positioning.

But now I've added black out curtains to my room and want to add more variety to my tank besides the wisteria, which is flourishing with my standard bulb. I have a marineland F18T8 standard bulb that came with one of my 29 gal Top Fin starter kit that I picked up because I wanted a new tank. The fixture is a aquarium equipment 30RFH 120 vac, 60 Hz, 20w according to the markings.

When I was using T8's, I'd go to walmart and get their $3-4 'cool' daylight bulbs out of the lighting section. They get dim after about 6 months, but at $3-4 each, easily replaced. Much better than $20 for those at the LFS that are basically the same thing.

Good Bulbs

Hello LPX...

If you're not willing to take out a second mortgage on your home to finance your hobby, then look at the lighting stock at the local hardware store. I really like the GE aquarium plant bulbs. They're about $12.00 for a 48 inch, T8 (32 watt) or T12 (40 watt), 6500 K bulb.

The bulbs last about 10 months, perfect for low light, low tech tanks. I'm certain there are other sizes for smaller tanks.

Dose a good quality fert and do a weekly 50 percent water change and you can have a great looking, planted tank in no time.

B

I clean 25% 2x a week. And I have a semi DIY system that came with a liquid feet I use 2x a week following the water change. Is wisteria a low light plant? Because if not it needs to be changed to one. My tank is full of it and I was only given one stem from my grandmothers tank. Lol.

Water wisteria

Hello LPX...

Water wisteria is a medium or moderate light plant. It will grow in low light, but not very well planted in the substrate. To get it to grow in my low light tanks, I floated it attached to driftwood so it's close to the light. It grows horizontally instead of vertically. I have it in a 45 G tall with just a single, 32 watt T12 bulb and it grows very well.

It thrives on the hydroponics liquids I put in my water change water.

B

So I guess that is my wisterias gig as well. :) thank you for the info.

It never crossed my mind to use a bulb that wasn't a fish brand...'hahah

Back
Top Bottom