Good Co2 diffusers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blitz

Aquarium Advice Regular
Any recommendations on good quality Co2 diffusers, I've tried the Up Aqua one and after about two weeks, the fine mist bubbles, become large and spit out of one side.....it's sitting level on all aspects. 2nd one I've bought that does the same thing. :banghead:

You have to clean them every few weeks...

I soak mine in a bleach water mix for a day, then blow all the water out you can. Then soak another day in just water and a few capfuls of Prime. Don't be shy with the prime, it's gonna take care of any residual bleach. Another day to air dry and it should be good as new.

EDIT: Having two on hand is always a bonus, while you're cleaning one, you can use the other. ;)

Last edited:
I like GLA's line of atomizers. I've bought a number of them that have all worked well for me.

The Atomic line? Or the Cal Aqua? I really like the Cal Aqua Glass apparatus, but that line is I believe, only inline, and I do actually like seeing the Co2 flowing. If it's the Atomic line, What size would you suggest for a 55 Gallon?

And thanks for the replies.

I went through three of those spiraly glass thingies trying to take the cheap route and ended up going with Green Leafs Atomic and never looked back. They never worked right......so now the glass ones sit around the house and make people wonder what they are !!! Sometimes spending the money up front is worth it because i have one 45mm one in my tank that when all was said and done cost me almost $60 :lol:

I've used the atomic inline model mostly but also the in-tank version. Both work well. You can't see the co2 coming out of the diffuser itself, but it's very visible when leaving your return, which is good enough for me. The advantage of inline is that it gets clutter out of the tank. It's not necessarily more effective.

You're all missing the point I tried to make... If your diffuser worked fine at first, why spend even more money? The new one will do the same thing. The small pours on the ceramic disc are getting clogged, and this will happen regardless of which brand diffuser you use. That being said, I like the NAG diffusers. They're probably the best quality for the price you can get from eBay. I use the hang on style in my rimless tank. Fine mist of bubbles, but again, they require maintenance every few weeks to keep the bubbles fine, like any other diffuser, inline or in tank.

Last edited:
Billy, I may not have been clear, I apologize, This is right out of the box... First one I thought was just defective, next one same thing. It's doing the job but in the larger bubble form, they rise fast and break the surface, the smaller ones dissolve before reaching the surface so that's a lot of wasted gas. Just trying to be more efficient. And figured people who use them would have already been through this.

Last edited:
and I know I said after two weeks but they really never are right from the beginning.

Bill,

The official party line is that you should clean your diffusers regularly to avoid this, and I agree with this. In reality, I am probably one of the worst at cleaning my diffusers. I've had GLA's inlines for about two years, and have probably only cleaned them 3 times. They still work fine despite this. Take what you will from the anecdote, but I think that some diffusers are just more blockage prone than others, which may play into the choice of what to get for some.

Of course, atomizers are operating at 30 psi or more, so aquarium gunk would be hard pressed to block it compared to simple ceramic filters, which may be playing into it.

Billy, I may not have been clear, I apologize, This is right out of the box... First one I thought was just defective, next one same thing. It's doing the job but in the larger bubble form, they rise fast and break the surface, the smaller ones dissolve before reaching the surface so that's a lot of wasted gas. Just trying to be more efficient. And figured people who use them would have already been through this.

Gotcha, the two weeks thing threw me off. If its not great out of the box, and you want really fine bubbles, like mentioned before, the GLA, or even ADA if you want to spend the money. I like the NAG, as they are cheap, but still produce really fine bubbles. Sorry for the confusion, just trying to save you some $$$ if possible! ;)

Bill,

The official party line is that you should clean your diffusers regularly to avoid this, and I agree with this. In reality, I am probably one of the worst at cleaning my diffusers. I've had GLA's inlines for about two years, and have probably only cleaned them 3 times. They still work fine despite this. Take what you will from the anecdote, but I think that some diffusers are just more blockage prone than others, which may play into the choice of what to get for some.

Of course, atomizers are operating at 30 psi or more, so aquarium gunk would be hard pressed to block it compared to simple ceramic filters, which may be playing into it.

My theory for the inline diffusers not getting as clogged is they are always seeing clean water if on the outflow side, constant heavy flow around it, and they're not getting direct light like an in tank diffuser would. Mine are usually the only thing in the tank to get some GSA on the disc. But it's bright white and facing straight up, of course it's gonna get some GSA or whatever it is.

Back
Top Bottom