Good light for plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The boring name

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys in my 55 I have a lightly planted scape with Java fern water sprite and banana plants would a 50/50 coral life light that is 40 w be good or would the aqueon flora max 38 w be better they are both 48 inch for my 55 the 50/50 is 20 and the flora max is 22 dollars. Thanks guys

Tank Lighting

Hey guys in my 55 I have a lightly planted scape with Java fern water sprite and banana plants would a 50/50 coral life light that is 40 w be good or would the aqueon flora max 38 w be better they are both 48 inch for my 55 the 50/50 is 20 and the flora max is 22 dollars. Thanks guys

Hello The...

You don't need anything fancy to grow most aquarium plants. You could do with a couple of T8s or T12s from the hardware store. GE has a very good aquarium plant bulb. A pack of 3 48 inch are around $12.00 on a sale and a bulb lasts well over a year.

I use these in my 55 G tanks and the plants grow very well. I like to add a bit of Seachem's Comprehensive liquid fert every few weeks too. You don't really need to add ferts if you have a reasonable fish load.

Just a suggestion though, this is basically what I do.

B

I use plain old T-8 6500K - 10,000K combination. The grow any plant that I put in the tanks. I have 2 triple bulb lights on each 40B tank. I also have a few T-5 HO quad lights, and don't see much difference in the plant growth, and color. For what its worth, I use Zoomed bulbs. I like them best for cheaper bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom