Good Low Light Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vanimal

Aquarium Advice Addict
What are the best low light plants? I have a marineland led but it only cost $45 so I'm assuming its not that strong. I don't have any fertilizers and want plants that will grow with out them. Any suggestions?

vanimal said:
What are the best low light plants? I have a marineland led but it only cost $45 so I'm assuming its not that strong. I don't have any fertilizers and want plants that will grow with out them. Any suggestions?

I'm not sure how well live plants will do with LED lights but some good low light plants are crypts, java fern, anacharis, and hornwort. Anacharis and hornwort are floating plants and grow fairly quickly but they shed leaves and can be kinda messy. I have crypts and java fern in my tank and I love them both.
Low light plants also don't require a lot of fertilizers. My crypts did fine with no ferts until I added hornwort and it sucked up all the nutrients in the water. Now I use home made root ferts made with Osmocote and just a simple liquid fert. Slow growing plants like crypts and java fern should be fine without ferts though.

vanimal said:

I had same tank. Only thing that really did ok was anubias. However I updated my lights and I never realized how dim the stock LEDs were.

I got a dual tho5 fixture.

I'm in hollywood Florida. ( saw another of ur post)

GoldsGuy said:
I had same tank. Only thing that really did ok was anubias. However I updated my lights and I never realized how dim the stock LEDs were.

I got a dual tho5 fixture.

I'm in hollywood Florida. ( saw another of ur post)

Cool I go to the beach there every weekend :)

20 gal with neon tetras, danios, cories, and a dwarf Gourami

Cool. Have you been to All Fish Emporium in Fort Lauderdale?

You attempting plants? Make sure to disinfect them first.

My sister's 10 gallon me and my brothers 20 gallons I have an old 45 and then my new 150.

vanimal said:
My sister's 10 gallon me and my brothers 20 gallons I have an old 45 and then my new 150.

I realized I said "nice tank man" lol assuming u are a guy.
Wow how you do it? Seems like it takes me a couple hours to do PWC with 55 gal. What you got in 150?

I want to get a 150 next year.

Aces11 said:
I'm not sure how well live plants will do with LED lights but some good low light plants are crypts, java fern, anacharis, and hornwort. Anacharis and hornwort are floating plants and grow fairly quickly but they shed leaves and can be kinda messy. I have crypts and java fern in my tank.

All excellent options. Only thing I can add to that is Java Moss and some specie of Ludwigia.

My 29g is a Crypt jungle. They can populate the foreground with the best of them.

GoldsGuy said:
I realized I said "nice tank man" lol assuming u are a guy.
Wow how you do it? Seems like it takes me a couple hours to do PWC with 55 gal. What you got in 150?

I want to get a 150 next year.

Yeah I'm a guy. I do 10 gallons on the 150 everyday takes me 10 min. Stock
1 Eclipse Catfish
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Blood Parrot
1 Angel Fish
1 Fire Eel
I will be adding
7 Silver Dollars
1 African Brown Knife
1 more Angel

vanimal said:
Yeah I'm a guy. I do 10 gallons on the 150 everyday takes me 10 min. Stock
1 Eclipse Catfish
1 Bristlenose Pleco
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Blood Parrot
1 Angel Fish
1 Fire Eel
I will be adding
7 Silver Dollars
1 African Brown Knife
1 more Angel

How long have you had the tank? Is it cycled? Wow nice stock. Bet it's awesome.
I only got four comet goldfish from a carnival of course lol. But they get huge. I've really enjoy them. Lots of personality. Follow me around as I walk by like puppies lol
How you test your parameters?

3 months. Yeah its cycled. I used a liquid test kit. And my blood parrot and Angel follow me around too. My Blood Parrot will eat out of my hand

Back
Top Bottom