good low tech background plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smooth_cannibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
in the next week or so I am going to get some fish for my 55 gallon and move the goldies that are in there moved into a different tank. I may end up with large growing cichlids so plants may not be an option for the 55 . plants are more for the 10 gallon I have with the option of growing them out for the larger tank.

10 gallon has about 30 baby java plants and an anubias nana. lighting is 2x 13 watt cfl in an all glass hood with reflector. no co2 and no ferts.

looking for some low tech background plants. I don't mind the pruning at all if they would get too tall for a 10 g. also don't mind if I need to setup a diy co2 and start ferts as well. like I said if I don't end up with cichlids and do a community tank I would also divide for the other tank. I went back to the old hoods on the 55 since I don't have plants in it now (because of the gold fish). I have a 4 ft shop light with 2 t12 bulbs that will go on top.

Also look at Giant Ambulia. Its fine leafed like Cabomba and Myriophylum but doesn't need as much light. Its real name is Limnophilia sessiliflora. It does great in my med light 16g. Also check on Mayaca fluviatilis and Hygrophila difformis. OS.

sorry I haven't had time to update my threads. I picked up a rough looking bunched anacharis for a buck (marked down) at the lfs about a week ago. I cleaned it up and some of it ins't still in that great of shape but I have a good amount of new growth so it was worth it. nice to have some height in the tank with all the baby java. I will look at the ambulia. i really like the cabomba so if its similar it should make me happy.

thanks

Back
Top Bottom