Good plants for DPs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sicklidkid

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, i was wondering what plants would work well in my DP tank. What i was thinking is a large rock towards the back and in the sand a carpet of plants that make the rock look as if it's coming out of a jungle, i was thinking of using anuius nana for this and hope that it spreads to cover alot of the sand. Any other ideas for this? Also are there any plants i can wedge into the rock crevices? I was thinking probably java fern. ANy advice on this topic would be greatly appreciated. oh and its an eclipse 12, i believe the lighting is a 13 watt 5500k bulb.

THANKS

Thank you. I have far too much in my head right now.
Do DPs eat plants? Or is the question mainly about what plants will grow quickest and in rocks?

My DP doesn't eat plants, but she does eat the things that come off the plants.. it's very very disturbing to not have to feed her, even though since being put in a planted tank, she's actually become a little tubby. I do think I'll have to replenish the snail supply soon though.. not quite enough hitchikers last time :]

I think the question was about the rocks..

For my own tank, I have lotsa hornwort (though not for long, I'm trimming it down to a tiny bit, and planting it in some of my other tanks), a banana plant (hard not to love these), some sunset, giant sags, rotala, wisteria, & some frill.

Okay, since this is more plant related, I'll move this to the planted tanks and you will get more help on what plants will work best!

DP's are carnivores, so they shouldn't bother plants. I'd use java fern to wedge into the rock...java fern is perfect for rock attachements since it doesn't need to be planted and attaches it's roots to any slightly rough surface in about a week.

Anubias is a sloooow grower, and I wouldn't call it a carpet plant...but it would work well in this tank. Java moss would be a decent carpet, but I"ve never used it so I can't suggest the best way to anchor or attach it.

One question has not been asked, any salt at all being used in that tank?

Java fern is one of the most salt-tolerant plants you can get. It's also one of my favorites due to the fact that it is so easy to grow. I have to clear out excess so often it's ridiculous.

I'm not that big a fan of Java moss. To me, it gets dirty too fast, and more often than not, just looks like algae in my tanks. JMO, other folks love it.

Ok, tahnks for al the replies! I would prefer to stay away from java moss, i dont really want a carpet, but more of low lying jugle effect, with a large rock coming up in the back.

Not sure what your lighting is???? Is it the standard lighting that comes with the 12g Eclipse in your sig?

Back
Top Bottom