Got a new plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

debomb4u

Aquarium Advice Activist
A few days back i went to petco and picked out a bunch of Anacharis. I dont know how many plants are in the bundle since it is still connected with the rubber band. I'm wondering if i should remove the rubber band or not. And if i should plant them.... they dont have roots yet. I just dont like the huge mass of plant in one area of my tank at the moment. I dont see any harm of planting it now. I just havn't incase it wont stay well in the gravel.

I also have another question i had 5 aponogeton bulbs and they all sprouted but the last one to sprout grew about an inch or two then stopped. Its also the biggest bulb out of all of them. And the part that has grown hasn't lost color but seems to be slowly wilting downward. And had on it what looked like to be mold last night but i took it off and the bulb is hard so its not rotten. ?????????????????????????????

When i was at petco i saw plants in clear plastic packages.... growing in gel. I thought it was pretty cool, they had alot of different kinds.

ive tried anacheris and when i left the stuff holding it together all the leaves fell off and it died lol. so take it off.

yeah roots should come in a few days im sure

I planted it, i have around 6 plants.... i say around because some are small and i dont know if they will make it. I took out just about all of my plastic plants and it looks really empty now. I uprooted 2 of my aponogeton's they are hard to put back in the gravel... and lost 3 leaves. The anacharis sure makes a mess, it falls apart really easy. I cant gravel vac the little pieces very well.

I forgot to take a pic before i took out the plastic plants :x but for sure i'll take a pic of what it looks like tomorrow and post it along with a pic or two of my tank when i first started it up. And now i wish i had pics of my plants growing week by week. I'm going to make sure i take a weekly pic from now on.

How short do you think is too short for anacharis to replant? I'm asking since some of it seems a little tall for my tank and i was thinking about cuttting it in half. Hopefully they will grow in rather quickly and fill in the empty spaces. Also i hope i get my lily replacement bulbs soon that way i can plant them.

Congrats on your new plants! I just planted a lot of stem plants last week. The stem plants in particular (as opposed to something like an anubias) look somewhat sad for the first week. That doesn't mean you did anything wrong. My tank looks empty too, after I took my silk plants out and added stem plants.

As the others said, remove the clip or rubber band and plant each stem individually. They will soon grow in roots and begin to perk up. Mine have been planted for 8 days now and they are beginning to look good. I tried to plant mine in somewhat of a checkerboard pattern. It wouldn't hurt to plant the very small pieces. They will probably be ok. If one particular stem gets too tall for your tank, you can cut it in half, or cut it where ever you want to. All the stem plants that I have had will grow roots along the stem too. Look along the stem for a group of long, hair-like white roots, and you can cut the stem right below those roots, and plant this new piece.

Will aponogeton's leaves grow like that... i know they produce seeds and you can grow them from bulbs but tonight i lost 4 long and wide leaves. Or will they not grow like that?

But i mean how short is to short i have a couple of pieces maybe 1-2 inches long will they do all right? And how fast does Anacharis grow?

I've never planted a piece of Anachris that short but it won't hurt to try. The only things I've seen grow faster than it are Cabomba and Asian Ambulia.

Still no roots????? They look better i think and i cut two of them in half a few days ago and replanted those. But still theres no roots. And one or two of the plants are getting a yellowish color.

And since they have not been rooted my adfs run into them and dig them up.

anachris and apongetons reproduce differently. anachris you just prun the top and replant, but apongetons will produce seeds, or sprout seedlings off the main bulb (hard to see unless you uproot the plant on purpose)

I just got my lilly replacement bulbs.... i sent in 5 and got back 16 8O some are aponogetons and some are lillys. I know i wont have room in my tank for all of them so i was wondering.... i have a few 1 gal jars around my house and i was thinking that i could get some gravel from a local stream or beach and put some in. And for water i could use my tank water from a water change that way they could get nutrients.

The water would be warm enough because i live upstairs and my room is the hottest.... around 80 or so during the day. And for my tank i use natural sunlight, so they would get the same light.

Would the plants in the jar provide enough oxygen for something inside? Like shrimp. And i know bettas get air from the surface so i wouldnt need to worry about oxygen for them.

But my anacharis still has no roots?

Back
Top Bottom