Got a new tank need some advise on planting it.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b4tn

Aquarium Advice Regular
My first post here :D I just picked up a 42 gallon tank used for 50 euro. It came with a heater and an eheim in tank power head filter. I ran to the LFS and picked up a Fluval 204 to replace the Eheim, a stand, and two bags of clay based plant substrate that is about 1-2cm.

I am not a noob but I am not an expert. I have had several fresh and a saltwater aquarium over the years but since I move often (Military) I have to start over all the time :lol:.

Anyway, this is what I want
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/photopost/data/543/medium/107055_community.JPG

I am planning on an angel community tank, but I want to plant it as heavily as possible. I have done some research on the substrate and an pretty confused. Most sya to use two layers but I cant get an exact answer on what to use for the layers. I am a bit worried also since everyone speaks German over here and all the packaging is also in German (I dont speak the language) so I am not sure if I will find popular recomended name brands. What do I use?

Can I add plants to an un cycled tank or should I wait for it to cycle first?

Should I add as many plants all at once or a little over time. ( Read somewhere to do it all at once)

What is the best florescent light temp for the most natural look and best for the plants?

Thanks in advance

You can add plants to an uncycled tank. It will give them a headstart on growth.

The others, you may want to post in the planted forum. You will get TONS of advice over there. :D

Back
Top Bottom