Grass like plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mike47517

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey everyone
heres my question.
I have seen a bunch of planted tanks that look like they have a nice grass/moss that is on the bottom of the tank. and it looks real nice. What is it? Is it ok to have it even though im not expierenced in plants? thanks.

ok

the bottom, or front is called the foreground.

there are many foreground plants, some include HC, glosso, riccia, HM, java moss, hairgrass, sag, and many many more!

most foreground plants require high light and co2 to really thrive, but there are some low maintenance plants.

the "carpet" you see is quite dificult to grow and takes alot of time!!

Yeah, like runnin' said there's quite a few different ones that are quite popular. If you point out which one you're referring to we can id exactly which one it is.

Well since your limited like I am with a low-tech setup, you should try what I might try. Well my lfs is finally ordering some java moss, so what i'm going to do is planted some on my drift wood, but then for the foreground carpet type look that your looking for, i'm going to plant the java moss in my sand, then just keep trimming it and pushing it down a little so it will get nice and think and shortish, it will be perfect for fry cover or for bettas to hang out in ect.

Well since your limited like I am with a low-tech setup, you should try what I might try. Well my lfs is finally ordering some java moss, so what i'm going to do is planted some on my drift wood, but then for the foreground carpet type look that your looking for, i'm going to plant the java moss in my sand, then just keep trimming it and pushing it down a little so it will get nice and think and shortish, it will be perfect for fry cover or for bettas to hang out in ect.

You may be better off getting some flat pieces of slate and some fabric mesh instead of planting it.

Back
Top Bottom