Grass-Like Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Galligak

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm wondering what is the difference between a few different kinds of grass like plants.
What is the difference between: dwarf hair grass, pygmy chain sword plant, and dwarf sag?
Thanks!

All three can make a great carpet:

pygmy chain: "leaves" are a bit thicker than dwarf hairgrass. Takes time to plant as it usually isn't a nice chain but several singles with one or two clumps *grumbles*

dwarf hairgrass: "leaves" are finer, usually comes in clumps, easier to plant. Some say need high light, I had low-med and did fine.

dwarf sag: under the right conditions will actually grow to about 6 inches tall. very easy to plant as it comes in clumps and chains. Very versatile, I have it in a high light, CO2 infused tank, low light nothing special tank and my BW tank.

DragonFish71 said:
All three can make a great carpet:

pygmy chain: "leaves" are a bit thicker than dwarf hairgrass. Takes time to plant as it usually isn't a nice chain but several singles with one or two clumps *grumbles*

dwarf hairgrass: "leaves" are finer, usually comes in clumps, easier to plant. Some say need high light, I had low-med and did fine.

dwarf sag: under the right conditions will actually grow to about 6 inches tall. very easy to plant as it comes in clumps and chains. Very versatile, I have it in a high light, CO2 infused tank, low light nothing special tank and my BW tank.

Thats exactly what I needed! I'm planting a 12g tank and just wanted to know the differences! Thanks!!!!

DragonFish71- did your med-low light tank have CO2? I like the look of the Dwarf hairgrass but I'm a little cautious about doing CO2.

No, only my high light tank has CO2. Rest of my tanks run with just 6500k bulbs, root tabs, Excel, Flourish and/or Floura Base mixed into the substrate.

I thought about going with CO2 in some of my other tanks but the plants are growing awesomely without so why bother.

Back
Top Bottom