gravel vac or not?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichlidslover

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
The question may sound weird but I have purposely been neglecting my partially planted shrimp tank. The shrimp are currently thriving, but there are a lot of detritus on the bottom that the shrimp occasionally take a nibble at. Also, the tank is covered in algae, which is exactly what I want. However, will vacuuming the gravel cause the algae to die or decrease? Thanks in advance. Also, how much of a 10 gallon should I change since shrimp are sensitive to the water parameters?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Tank Vacuuming

The question may sound weird but I have purposely been neglecting my partially planted shrimp tank. The shrimp are currently thriving, but there are a lot of detritus on the bottom that the shrimp occasionally take a nibble at. Also, the tank is covered in algae, which is exactly what I want. However, will vacuuming the gravel cause the algae to die or decrease? Thanks in advance. Also, how much of a 10 gallon should I change since shrimp are sensitive to the water parameters?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Hello cich...

You don't need to vacuum the bottom material. The organic material that falls to the bottom of the tank dissolves in the tank water and nourishes the plants. The extra can be removed just by removing half the of tank water. Small tanks should get a 50 percent water change a couple of times a week.

If you practice a sound water change routine, the water will be safe for whatever lives in it.

B

But will that affect the growth rn of the algae and can the shrimp withstand the sudden changes in parameters?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Tank Vacuuming

But will that affect the growth rn of the algae and can the shrimp withstand the sudden changes in parameters?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hello again cich...

Never heard of frequent water changes being bad for a tank. You can certainly test the water for traces of nitrogen, like ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If there's a trace of the first two, then you should perform a water change. Nitrates that rise to the 30 to 40 ppm level would require a water change as well.

Tank inhabitants will thrive in pure water conditions.

B

I did the same thing with my 55 native tank. All my fish thrived and my plant growth was booming. I still did water changes though and it didn't seem to harm anything. I think the closer your tank is to being like a natural habitat the better things are.

Sent from in front of my 100

Back
Top Bottom