Greasy White blob just showed up today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KageNoKarasu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hiya! Yep, I'm new here. I tried searching the net for my current predicament, but no luck, so I'm hoping someone might lend some insight.
So I took out this plastic plant on Monday, wiped off the brown algae, put it back, and now today (wednesday) there was this huge white blob, of goodness knows what. Here is the best I could get:
img_1276329_0_7a57d71293ffd16e554ae16736f1ae48.jpg

I "fished" it out, and this was the best closeup I coudl get, it was about the size of my pinky nail (think small female).
img_1276329_1_772cb9734cf94d75111a135b5e89ea73.jpg

All those fuzzies were individual micro hairs of individual little white lumps. Artist rendition :wink::
img_1276329_2_31bbf06a1465f4fcf0f229c4ab8358bc.jpg

When I disturbed it, it seemed to let out some greasy bubbles, which seems odd since I don't know where it could have accumulated from.
There are smaller chunks growing on other leaves.
The fish seem fine.

Some background: weekly 20% water changes with a small pinch of non-iodized sea salt (from my kitchen)
Last watercheck at Petco said "all good"
The tank has cycled since January
The only change I have done since Monday was add the marimo balls. Prior to adding, those sat in quarantine for a week+ in lightly salted water in case they had anything...

Anyways, advice? suggestions? Experience?
If the pics are too big, sorry! I have a big screen :D

The next day...

So today, I found a couple more little spherical, fuzzies, so I took the plastic plant out and it's currently soaking in a salt and vinegar bath, but I'm sure there's more in the tank, just sorta'... floating around.

If my house were warm enough, I've contemplated letting this white things sit to see what would happen
So.. yeah.. any ideas?

KageNoKarasu said:
So today, I found a couple more little spherical, fuzzies, so I took the plastic plant out and it's currently soaking in a salt and vinegar bath, but I'm sure there's more in the tank, just sorta'... floating around.

If my house were warm enough, I've contemplated letting this white things sit to see what would happen
So.. yeah.. any ideas?

Not sure what fish you have but could they be some kind of egg nest/blob? It's breeding season in my tank, but goldies kinda spew individual eggs all around so they were easy to spot :).

Sent from my Epic 4G using Aquarium Advice App

Could you provide a stocking list of the tank? Include any Fish, Inverts, or Plants you might have.

Nope, not eggs.
1 betta
6 Neon Tetras
1 MTS

And the "blob" was hanging out at the top of the tank, even what was on the other leaves were nearish the top.

Oh, 1 Banana plant (small but established)
and 4 marimo balls, which were added on monday after a week+ quarantine

Only other thing I could think of would be a piece of uneaten food that got lost and started growing mold.

KageNoKarasu said:
Oh, 1 Banana plant (small but established)
and 4 marimo balls, which were added on monday after a week+ quarantine

I believe (almost certain) I got a case of a ick from plants I put in, and have heard of worse that that. Moss balls can harbor just about anything IME, so maybe take a close look at them.

*nod*nod*
I've considered that, but I had never seen mold look like that: individual, spherical... /things/ clumped together.
Then again, mold underwater can very likely be different from stuff in my sink XD

KageNoKarasu said:
*nod*nod*
I've considered that, but I had never seen mold look like that: individual, spherical... /things/ clumped together.
Then again, mold underwater can very likely be different from stuff in my sink XD

lol My sink maybe, my teenage daughters room, definitely :p.

I've read where it's good to squeeze them out from time to time because they can build up junk like a sponge.

I had something like that one day. It was hanging off my betta log. I was like ewww. I have 1 beta , 4 albino cories, 1 oto and 1 nerite snail.

Also, it would be in your best interest to get an API Liquid Test Kit to keep track of your water parameters. Its much more convenient and more accurate than having a LFS tell you "All Good". Since "All Good" is very subjective, it can mean a variety of different things.

That thing is disgusting btw and I don't think I'm hungry anymore lol :taped:

Back
Top Bottom