Green Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShobhitJ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello All,

I have a 10 gal aquarium with sand substrate about 4 months old tank. It has 6 guppies (adults + babies) - all doing well.

The moss started growing very well initially, but for the last 2 months I have green algae problem which makes the water green. The moss now looks dark green and is turning brown in some places. Frogbit does not survive in this tank. (It is growing like crazy in my other tank).

I do not fertilize this tank and do weekly 25-50% water changes (depending on how much green algae I have). Feeding fishes once a day and I ensure there's no food left over. I added nerite and 3 RM snails.
I also tried keeping lights off for few days after major water change. But when I turn it back on, by end of the day, the water turns greenish. Plz see attached picture.

Any suggestion how to get rid of green algae?

Thanks,
SJ

Attachments

• IMG-2088.jpg
    IMG-2088.jpg
    178 KB · Views: 53
I tried 8-10 hours and 5-6 hours. In both cases I get algae.

You might try turning the lights out, cover the tank and blacking out the tank for a week.

Hello All,

I have a 10 gal aquarium with sand substrate about 4 months old tank. It has 6 guppies (adults + babies) - all doing well.

The moss started growing very well initially, but for the last 2 months I have green algae problem which makes the water green. The moss now looks dark green and is turning brown in some places. Frogbit does not survive in this tank. (It is growing like crazy in my other tank).

I do not fertilize this tank and do weekly 25-50% water changes (depending on how much green algae I have). Feeding fishes once a day and I ensure there's no food left over. I added nerite and 3 RM snails.
I also tried keeping lights off for few days after major water change. But when I turn it back on, by end of the day, the water turns greenish. Plz see attached picture.

Any suggestion how to get rid of green algae?

Thanks,
SJ
Google The Green Killing Machine. I bought the smaller version for my 50 gallon bowfront but put it in one of 10 gallons sometimes too. It will clear that algae out no problem. They're amazing. It's a UV sterilizer. Your water will be crystal clear and very healthy.

Thanks for the suggestions. :) Will try blackout first and if that doesn’t work, UV filter.

I don't recommend UV sterilizers. There is always a cause to algae and the solution isn't to spend money on a fancy sterilizer. Raise your lights off of the tank and keep you light cycle at 5-6 hours. Also getting more plants will help.

Back
Top Bottom