Green water....help please...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have green water and this is a new one for me. I know I have too much direct sunlight and I am sure I can correct that problem but how can I get rid of the green water once that is fixed?

Would a 3 day blackout do the trick? Or do I have to get mid evil on its cloudy butt?

Any suggestions are welcome.

Reduce lighting duration, block sunlight if possible, do a 2-3 day blackout, followed by water changes.

UV if you want to go high tech.

Sweet. I will try the blackout. I think my duration is ok is 7.5 hrs but it's right in front of a window and the sunlight seems to penetrate through the back of the tank even though I painted it (a light color)

SO I think once I take care of the sunlight I will be back on track. Hopefully the blackout and water changes will take care of it.
Tanks for the advice. :)

Simple and about $50, if nothing works.
UV filter, petsmart has them.
You should also find out why you have green water.

I combine mine with 3 day blackouts and water changes with slightly reduced lighting. Ive had green water 3 times in various tanks and tomorrow ends a blackout for my 55. If you have live plants you need to space out blackouts (if more than one is needed) as your plants will start to hate you over time lol

If you could get your hands on some live daphnia they will take care of green water. I don't know what kind of fish you have but it is a great live food too.

You could always package and sell it to people raising hard to feed fry. ;)

Yes, green water is considered a type of algae.

I agree with the reduced lighting, blackout, and water changes. In my case (on a 10 gallon tank) I did 50% water changes three days in a row and that helped greatly for me. A diatom filter would clear the problem up in a few hours (provided you've fixed the cause of the problem, probably the sunlight) but I've never tried it. They are expensive for a limited-time use but sometimes you can borrow one from an aquarium club.

Back
Top Bottom