Greenish water tint

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishingMouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Specs:
10 gal
Aqueon whisper 10 filter
Two airstones
Planted with Anubias, water wisteria and java fern.

Started my cycle about a week ago, ammonia is still around 4 ppm. No nitrites/trates yet, ph around 7.4.

But my water has a greenish tint. It happened the day after I put the wisteria in, I pulled out the couple that looked like they were melting but the rest looked fine so I left them alone. Should I be worried since my ammonia/ ph hasn't spiked at all?

When you put some tank water in a white cup is the water green in the white cup? How long are you leaving your tank lights on?

Your ammonia is up as it should be. The tank won't cycle in a few days. Here's a couple good links to help you with cycling.... The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice and Tips and Tricks For Your Fastest Fishless Cycle! - Aquarium Advice.

I know about cycling and stuff, just saying that there was no spike or anything that might point to plants rotting.....and I'm at work now so I'll do the white cup thing when I get back. I'm leaving the light on about 8 hours or so while I'm at work, I don't have a timer yet.

Rotting plants unless you had truck loads of them wouldn't cause an algae bloom, which is what green water is. They also wouldn't cause an ammonia spike unless again you had alot of die off. Will wait to see what your water look like.

Okay so I did the white cup test, and my water isn't super green......it's so faint it doesn't show up in my iPhone pics actually >.<

How long are your running your lights daily? Right now only run them 6 hours daily. Also I am having a hard time believing your having an algae bloom so what I suggest is watch the water. Look at it daily in a white cup and if it starts getting greener then we will have to talk about a green water algae bloom and how to treat it.

Back
Top Bottom