Greenish Water - What am i doing wrong?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshyfish

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've a 10G planted tank with platy and tetra. I've some live plants as well. My tank used to crystal clear. 2 Months back i changed filter cartridge(after running for 8 months.). When i installed new cartridge, I just squeezed off old filter cartridge inside tank and behind new filter cartridge. Then the problem started. 2 days water was muddy, then it started turning green. I tried water change, it did not help. Then i tried the following.

1. Do a big water change
2. Cover up the tank full without light for 3 days.
3. Open the tank on 3rd day and do a water change again.

This helped for 2 days and water turned green again. This I did twice to make sure that i did correctly. Still no solution. After 3 days, water will be clean for 2-3 days then again it starts turning green :banghead:. Please help me on what am i doing wrong. Is there any other solution for this? :confused:

Never change the filter cartridge unless it's falling apart. Doing so removes a large portion of your beneficial bacteria and throws the tank back into a cycle. If you do think you need to change cartridges, seed the new cartridge by sticking it in the tank for a month before swapping them.

Is your tank anywhere near a window? I had green water issues when my tank was near the basement window. I moved it about six feet away from the window and no more green water issues.

Thanks for the reply. Yea it was almost falling apart and not filtering properly.

No it is not near window. I switch on lights only for 6-7 hours. I don't know why it still green.

GW can be really hard to shake once it gets itself rooted. What kind of light do you have in your tank? Have you done an ammonia test lately?

+1 on the questions. Unbalancing your tank by changing the filter cartridge will create an ammonia spike and green water loves ammonia.

Yea you are correct. Ammonia spiked. It is close to 0.5 today. I did a water change immediately. I cant believe this happened after an year. It was pretty stable though. I don't know how long it is going to be this time. I had a tough time cycling my tank :banghead:.

Back
Top Bottom