Ground cover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JackBurton

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've been looking at all the pics in the galleries. I really like the tanks that have a nice thick green ground cover. Recently I've looking at Java Moss but I'm afraid it might get to tall for my liking. I want something that'll stay low but also climb up over my rocks and driftwood.

Any suggestions?

Glosso might work, but it will stay on the substrate only. You'll have to use riccia or something for rocks - you'll tie it to them, or tie it to a mesh piece and wrap the mesh around the rock. I'd use java moss for rocks, myself, since it will attach itself to the rock after a while.

In general, when it comes to low ground cover you will require high light and CO2, or the plants will "reach" and grow tall towards the light or just not do well.

TankGirl said:
Glosso might work, but it will stay on the substrate only. You'll have to use riccia or something for rocks - you'll tie it to them, or tie it to a mesh piece and wrap the mesh around the rock. I'd use java moss for rocks, myself, since it will attach itself to the rock after a while.

In general, when it comes to low ground cover you will require high light and CO2, or the plants will "reach" and grow tall towards the light or just not do well.

Thanks TankGirl. I made sure when I purchased the tank I bought enough light for 3 watts per gallon. So I guess I'll need to look into CO2 soon.

Off check out your recommendations. :)

I second glosso as a carpet. Tank girl hit it to a T when she said about the high light requirements and the addition of co2 and dosing ferts. Glosso will make a cool looking foreground if you have the time to care for it. Its worth looking into.
-Stewie

So, then, ground cover plants = no gravel vac?

I never really considered ground cover plants until I've seen some pics of em; those tanks are gorgeous. . . of course, I have < 1.0wpg and no intention co2 hardware, so I doubt I'll be looking into it anytime soon, but still. WoW! :D

Toirtis makes it look easy. Beautiful job man :) The main thing to worry about with Riccia is that it is firmly anchored to the bottom, regardless of method. Floating Riccia will grow like algae on anything it feels like anchoring to. When growing Riccia be ever-vigilant for loose stands. If you've ever had Java moss loose in your tank you'll understand my warning. I would recommend performing an inspection every day and looking for the tell-tale signs of pearling in places that you don't expcet it. A sure sign of dislodged Riccia. Be ready because the stuff will grow just about anywhere :p

JackBurton said:
Toirtis said:
A tank planted with riccia (using stainless steel wire weights) as groundcover:

Did you make the weights or buy them. You've got the look I want.

Tell you what...I'll make them, and you can buy them from me...:p Quick and easy to make...just go pick yourself up some stainless steel wire, around-jaw pliers, and a wire cutter....jewellery supply places usually have all three.

Growing in strange places, eh? Maybe a shot of penicillin will help. :lol: But seriously though, riccia will grow the fastest as a floating plant. If you want to start out with a whole bunch of it, let it float for a week or so. It should spread like wildfire, and then you can start anchoring it down to the ground. If you have a small tank and don't want to worry about CO2, using Flourish Excel is a great way to go. It works wonders on all plants, not just riccia. 0X

Toirtis said:
JackBurton said:
Toirtis said:
A tank planted with riccia (using stainless steel wire weights) as groundcover:

Did you make the weights or buy them. You've got the look I want.

Tell you what...I'll make them, and you can buy them from me...:p Quick and easy to make...just go pick yourself up some stainless steel wire, around-jaw pliers, and a wire cutter....jewellery supply places usually have all three.

Cool, I think I'm making some wieghts. :)

I saw a mention of trimming it - do you have to reach down to the bottom and cut it like grass or does it stay fairly low, but spread out?

I love the look.

So the plants actually consume the fish poop or what? Wouldn't that let you go longer without water changes?

I don't think it means fewer water changes at all. Water changes remove excess poop (depending on your stocking levels) and also remove DOCs in the water that drive down quality. To me there is more to water changes than just lowering nitrate. In my heavily planted tank I have zero nitrate if I don't add it myself, but I still do weekly water changes.

Toirtis, thanks for sharing your tips here, that is a really cool idea. 8)
Neat and simple. I will certainly give it a try when I'm ready.

I don't vacuum often either, maybe once a month or so, if even. Just make sure you do water changes once a week (I do about 20%). Can't stress enough about clean water. Wow, can you imagine swimming in your own poop? 8O

Back
Top Bottom