grow plant grow.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imrandome1

Aquarium Advice Freak
i have lot of these plants in my tank but they wont grow, i dont no the names of them so if any1 could tell me, it would help so i can find out some information on it.... i know i should research the plant first but..... live and learn.

ps i have 30watt lighting and its on about ermmm 9 till about 10, and iv given them tetraplant stuff to help, all the other plants have grown about 2 inches but these nothing.... lol

Hate to tell you, but those look like houseplants to me. They look like one of the various species of Dracaena, which is commonly sold under the name "green sandy" or "varigated sandy" or something like that. They will survive for a while underwater but most likely won't flourish.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, bugger, well, iv had these plants in my other tank ( my non planting tank but meah oh well lol for about 4-5 month, and they dont get any light that they are ment to, or plants food, they dont grow but there not dead or dieing.. just havent done anything) ...But the platted tank as above, iv only just put them in about 2 weeks ago, and they get plant foor and light, so i thought that they would grow, but if its a house plant....... stupid lfs, they had them in water so... i thought yeah okay.... hmmm what to do.

They will grow a little but sooner or later they will fall apart. The only way to really grow them is emersed or in flower pots like a house plant, with the leaves out of water. And don't feel bad, I bought some green hedge a couple months ago and it immediatly threw out 100 flower pods that never bloomed and then fell apart.

Just out of curiosity, did you get that at petco?

I got something from there that looked exactly like that, and didnt grow at all. I pulled it after it started to disintegrate.

well im not from the uk but im pretty sure that is arong 3 dollars here so i think its worth your money unless you can get it cheaper somewhere else also how big is your tank i cant tell you if 30 watts is good enough unless i know that

I grew val in a low light tank 1.2 watts over 10 gallons. The val grew straight up and continually had to be clipped but never shot out runners for propogation. When moved to a tank with over 3 watts, i have like a 100 new plants. You can keep it in low light but don't expect much growth other than straight up which you have to trim so it doesn't block light to your other plants. HTH

I don't think they will grow. 30w over a 45g tank isn't even 1wpg. I think vals do better with around 2wpg. They will grow in 1wpg, but not thrive.

I think you should upgrade your lighting or get some anubias and java fern. They are the only plants that will do good in that light.

i also agree you could just buy some other bulbs preffebly flourescents but that may be costly.or just go with low light plants like suggested java fern and anubias. and any other low light plants you can find theyre is lots of websites you can look on unfortanatly i cant remember any but hopefully someone will tell you about some.

that would be great, as my plant knowledge is not to great. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom