Growing Hornwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AndrewH

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I got a nice big bundle of hornwort in my new 29 Gallon. Now I'm pretty new to growing plants. I only have a 25w long flourescent light. So I'm only going to grow low light plants.

My question is. Since hornworts can be planted in the substrate or floated, I decided to weight the bottom of the hornwort down between 2 large rocks. Will this work? I'm not sure if it will grow around the rock... which is what I'm looking for. Advice?

No, it won't grow around the rock. I took a small suction cup that had a hole in it and pulled some hornwort through it and let it float in one spot in my 29g and my fish love to hang out there.

No, it won't grow around the rock. I took a small suction cup that had a hole in it and pulled some hornwort through it and let it float in one spot in my 29g and my fish love to hang out there.

Great Idea Dottie

Hornwort won't grow on the rock. But if you are looking to have a bunch of plants around the rock, you can certainly wedge it down around the rock like you did <not too tightly or the bottom might rot>. As long as you have enough light hitting the bottom, hornwort can be "planted". <It doesn't grow roots or anything.> If your plant is very small, you might want to float it till it is longer, before "planting" so the top can be exposed to good light.

To get a nice bushy look, I trim off the very top segment and the bottom will tend to branch out. <Float those trimmings for more plants.>

Hornwort won't grow on the rock. But if you are looking to have a bunch of plants around the rock, you can certainly wedge it down around the rock like you did <not too tightly or the bottom might rot>. As long as you have enough light hitting the bottom, hornwort can be "planted". <It doesn't grow roots or anything.> If your plant is very small, you might want to float it till it is longer, before "planting" so the top can be exposed to good light.

To get a nice bushy look, I trim off the very top segment and the bottom will tend to branch out. <Float those trimmings for more plants.>

This is good to know. I was getting long single stem pieces just growing at the end. How much do you trim off the top normally?

I usually just cut the piece in half (in my tank, single stands grows to 20" long or so and that's when I start chopping). I would expect the "bushing" effect to happen if you remove at least the topmost node (ie trim to the first branching point or leaf whorl) ... but the stuff grows so fast that I trim off much more.

Will it grow if I have it lodged between the two rocks? Or will it damage and kill the plant. I Noticed some of the tips are becoming a light yellowish to even brown and some red color so I plan on trimming that. Also it has grown already quite a bit. When I bought it it was about 12 Inches long and it's grown over 5 inches.. to the point where it's out of the water.

hornwort is tough to kill!

Even if you wedge it down too tight, only the crushed part will rot. The rest lives but will then tend to float free, so you'd have to "replant" it if you want the plant to stay put.

As you are finding out, hornwort grows fast under good condition (NO3 & light). Mine grows 1 inch or 2 a day. The red/brown tips are not necessarily disease (unless actually rotting). When the plants are nitrate restricted, they produce more red pigment. It is actually quite attractive, & some actively try to achieve that. But add a bit of nitrates & the tips will green up start taking off.

It caused a big mess yesterday when I pulled it for pruning and a lot of needles fell off. I trimmed a few inches off and put a strand in my 10 gallon. Since that it's grown another inch and in the 10 gallon it's grown about 2 inches

Back
Top Bottom