Growth on java fern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pongeer247

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had this plant for almost a year. In the last 3 months or so little dark green almost brown growths all over the leaves. They are not sproutlets. I have had lots of them and these aren't them lol. I have tried to scrape these growths off the leaves but they aren't coming off without a fight.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1399600396.712733.jpg
Hopefully this picture is enough. I can get a closer picture if need be. Thank you in advance! All advice is appreciated.

Interested also as my java fern has the same thing going on

Yeah I'd trim where the effected areas are and see if it comes back or spreads to the healthy leaf matter once the bad spots are gone.

Thes growths cover every leaf of the plant. Should I just get ride of the plant? I'm going to try a couple things. See if the new environment will change things. If not I will look to see if there are any baths I can put he plant in that might help. I heard something about a poroxide bath but not sure what it was for. Thank you for the advice! I will keep updated with results

Perhaps remove the java ferns and put them in a black-out to attempt killing whatever algae that may be?

Perhaps remove the java ferns and put them in a black-out to attempt killing whatever algae that may be?

Thought of this. The original tank the plant was in was in a dark corner. Bulb went out and stayed that way for about a month. Probably wasn't dark enough.

I should also mention these growths have been on the plant for about 2 1/2 months.

This weekend I will be trying scraping off one leaf and try a poroxide bath on another leaf. After that I will try a black out period.

After looking at them a little closer they look as if they should be plantlets but never got past the spore(not sure what it's called lol) stage. Is this a possibility?

It's not algae. I believe it's plant spores. I have left mine alone and it doesn't spread or anything. Doesn't really scrape off either

I never got around to getting ferts. Looking to add a few but not sure where I should start. Will be adding liquid carbon(?) but haven't looked into ferts really.

Thank you! I'll start with ferts if I don't see a change then I'll go to more drastic measures. I'm kind if hoping they are plantlets and will come back lol. Want more plants

Will be getting some fertilizers for the plants this week and will also be attempting a black out period for them as well.

Will be getting some fertilizers for the plants this week and will also be attempting a black out period for them as well.

Forgot to add the rest lol. What would be the best way to go about a 24hr black out? Should I just tape up black paper to the fish tank and keep light off or should I take the plant out of tank and place in another tank that is blacked out?

Back
Top Bottom