grrr...spider plant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reannon's Servant

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all,

Ok, one of the LFS here sold me a "spider plant" as an aquatic plant. She even made mention that it wasn't the "same" as a real spider plant, even though she called it one? Anyways, I decided to look it up and so far all I'm seeing is the real spider plants don't last in tanks because they aren't meant to be submerged. I don't want decaying plant in my tank obviously, so I want to make sure I do have a spider plant and should take it out.

It's the one in the middle which is probably obvious hehe, so, is it a spider plant?

Attachments

• P3250044.jpg
    P3250044.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 3,761
Plants that have either bright white or pink markings are not true aquatics. So while it may not be the same as a Spider Plant, it will do much better in a pot of dirt in your window sill.

Probably not a spider plant either. The plant that looks like a spider plant, but is sold for aquariums is a marginal/bog plant. I likes to be in 1/2" to 1" max of water, with the leaves sticking out in the air. They work good at the edge of a pond, or in a frog habitat (paludarium). In a regular pot with soil they tend to dry out.
It is probably a Dracaena sp. of some type.

aye,

i think i bought some matching this description a few months ago. They had the white edge and pink edge types, same species.

Both rotted in my tank after a week.

Went back to the shop and told them it wasnt aquatic and checked plant geek to confirm, which it does.

I did notice they had it in an emersed state in one tank in the shop and it was doing quite well.

Jac

Back
Top Bottom