Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-12-2003, 06:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Guess this is a good sign my tank is hospitable for plants..

I bought a plant for my aquarium on Tuesday, Its a local broad leafed plant [ Broad leaves with cream colored speckles all over it, Florida something or another. Forget the name ] and, between Tuesday and Today, Friday, It has a new sprout that has grown over an inch already.

Guess this means my tanks good for plants, Now.

i just added, at the same time as the new plant, an Aqua-Glo 20watt 18,000K 55LUX bulb.

My other plant, the plant that was stinking up my tank with the smell of dying fish is seeming to recoup to, Gaining its brilliant green vibrance it once hand. Never realized how faded it was in color till I saw another specimen at the petshop this past tuesday.

Old 09-12-2003, 08:16 PM   #2

I would be interested if you could find the name of the new plant. There is only one true aquatic plant that has white and green leaves and that would be a A. nana variegated. I'm worried that what you have is not a true aquatic plant. It could be that it has grown the shoot from stored energy and will just die in a few months. Also, if this is the case then don't shop at the store that is selling you these plants.
Old 09-12-2003, 11:11 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

They've had these plants in their tanks since I can remember, and the plant is healthy...6 fully formed leaves, about...10 inches tall, and with the one visible sprout.
Old 09-13-2003, 01:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aquatic/bog Plants grown above H20

At my local fish store, a knowledeable salesguy suggested I not buy a certain plant because the grower they had bought them from had probably grown them bog style, above water, because this particular species would have looked completely different if it had been propagated below the surface. He said there was a good chance that these plants probably wouldn't make it in a fully submerged tank if planted permanently.

Don't remember the plant's name.Of course the store still had them for sale. Made me a little doubtful about that lfs, but at least the saleperson was knowledgeable and honest. Betowess
Old 09-13-2003, 01:17 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Aquatic/bog Plants grown above H20

At my local fish store, a knowledeable salesguy suggested I not buy a certain plant because the grower they had bought them from had probably grown them bog style, above water, because this particular species would have looked completely different if it had been propagated below the surface. He said there was a good chance that these plants probably wouldn't make it in a fully submerged tank if planted permanently.

Don't remember the plant's name.Of course the store still had them for sale. Made me a little doubtful about that lfs, but at least the saleperson was knowledgeable and honest. Betowess
Old 09-13-2003, 08:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
They've had these plants in their tanks since I can remember, and the plant is healthy...6 fully formed leaves, about...10 inches tall, and with the one visible sprout.
Really doesn't mean a thing. The local PetSmart always has Mondo grass in their plant tank. And it is not a true aquatic plant. It will survive for a month or two and then die. They also have several other non-aquatic plants in there. If one were not careful to note that they are constantly selling and re-stocking these plants you could be lead to believe that they are healthy.

If you could please call the store and get the scientific name of this plant. Failing that get the common name. I would love to have a variegated plant in my tank.
Old 09-13-2003, 12:22 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'll run ou there today or tomarrow :-\

Tags
plant, plants, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com