Hagen CO2 Unit Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tigerlily

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have the Hagen CO2 unit? (I think I remember reading that Madame_X does?) I just set mine up, and am wondering how long it takes before it will start producing bubbles. Also, how do you keep the airline tube that runs to the bottom of the ladder from filling with water when you put it in the tank? Will the CO2 push the water out of the tubing when it builds up enough, or am I doing something wrong? :?

Thanks for your help!

Heya Tigerlily. I've got one of the Hagan units.

It should start producing bubbles very soon; takes a little bit for the yeast to start multiplying, but once it does, wheeeeeeeee! The pressure of the CO2 will push the water out of the tube easily (I'm guessing you mean its going a little way up the tube, not making a vaccuum and sucking into the cannister). :)

If nothing happens in an hour or so, there may be a prob. Possibly the yeast wasn't good.

Thanks Alli! It seems to be working now. I set it up last night, and nothing happened overnight. After reading your post this morning, I gave things a little shake, thinking that maybe the yeast wasn't getting to the food (sugar). That must have done the trick! The pressure of the CO2 did push the water out of the tube easily, and I'm getting bubbles! :turn-l:

The bubbles aren't making it all the way up the ladder. They get so far and then stop. I'm thinking that this isn't that big of a deal, because the longer the bubbles are in the water, the more CO2 will dissolve in my tank - right? Does the ladder just need some slimy build-up before things will start flowing?

Thanks again! :mrgreen:

Yep; if they stop thats fine. As you said, the longer the CO2 is in the water, the more dissolves. My bubbles go all the way to the top, but get smaller on the way up and sit at the top of the ladder either till they disappear, or theres enough bubbles to knock em out of the ladder.

What size tank and what level do you have the tube on the ladder? I have one on my 10g; discovered the lower setting on the ladder caused my CO2 levels to really spike. It caused my pH to drop a lot (I've a kH of only 3; pH dropped from 7.0 to 6.4!) and one of my crypts melted. You might want to measure your CO2 levels (take pH and kH levels, and plug them into the calculator here: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/fish/notes_co2.html

I have a 29 gal, and since the unit is rated for a 20 gal, I used the lower setting. I was planning on keeping a close eye on pH throughout the day, but now I can check CO2 levels too! Thanks!

My plan is to get another unit in 2 weeks and run both at 2 week intervals so that when one is running down or starting up, the other is still going strong - to try to avoid big dips or changes in the CO2 and pH levels. Hopefully that will work.

It takes a few days for a slime to grow on the ladder. This makes the bubbles travel up it more easily. In a few days you should notice that they won't get stuck.

LOL but be careful that plant leaves don't get stuck in there.

I was looking at mine earlier, and realised there was a HUGE bubble sitting on the 2nd level of the ladder. Looked closer, and realised there was some plant leaf stuck in there; oi! This tank is just going wild LOL If you look at the pic REALLY carefully, on the left you can see the top 2 levels of the ladder; A closer look will reveal a large CO2 bubble, with a bit of plant matter just to the left *grin*

Alli - is that a shrimp perched on your moss ball? (Can't remember what they're called - starts with an M?)

Godzilla!

Omg isn't he HUGE?! He looks like King Kong on the Marimo ball LOL

Its one of the shrimp I got from www.franksaquarium.com (I def recommend him for getting shrimp!). Tis a bamboo shrimp, aka wood shrimp or Singapore shrimp. I wanted to replace the one that went carpet surfing over a month ago; I had NO idea they got THIS big. My original was maybe 2/3 the size of this beast LOL I also got a bunch of little cherry shrimp too.

He's sending me a female if one comes in (this ones a male). Mebbe I'll have big baby shrimp one of these days!

Established planted tanks are great for these guys; they're filter feeders and get their food from filtering out nutrients from the water flow. They'll also dig thru the substrate, but its not where they get the most of their nutrition; I find both this one and the previous spent lots of time hanging out in the filter outflow. An esablished tank with some algae is great for em.

My LFS had some of those bamboo shrimp last week. They are interesting to watch. Their "feet" look like little brushes... :)

I'm thinking about getting another Hagen for my 30 gallon tank as well, and alternating them every four days. Mine lasted exactly 8 days and then stopped completely (went from about a bubble every 8 or 9 seconds to nothing overnight). Others probably get more life out of them but its pretty warm here and I was getting a bubble every five seconds when it was really rolling (don't know if this is normal in cooler temps or not).

I know some of you DIY'ers are gonna say make my own, but I just don't wanna deal with it. I only paid $16 for mine on sale at drsfostersmith.com. For that price it just wasn't worth the effort to buy the bubble counter, airline tubing, etc. and make my own.

Good god. That's, what, a 5 inch shrimp? I looked at the pic, did a double take and then decided that red thing must have been a dead leaf... Wow@@

My Hagan CO2 thingie bubbles for about a month or so each time. I changed the yeast/sugar/baking soda/water about 2 weeks ago, and its still bubbling away (prob 1 bubble every 4-5 seconds atm).

Heh, and the shrimp is about 3 - 3 1/2 inches long atm. He is SO red right now; he just moulted about an hour ago.

Hmmm... bamboo shrimp huh? Needs established planted tank with algae? That I have! Gives me one more thing to ponder...

(Marimo balls - thank you - total brain freeze there.)

Sometimes my Hagen unit will bubble away for two plus weeks straight cranking a bubble every 4 seconds at peak, other times it only lasts a week to ten days.
I use the same recipe CC put up a while back everytime too. Go figure?

Back
Top Bottom