Hair algae??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

senemedar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi. I have this algae problem. I don't really know what kind is this, but the description fits to Hair Algae. How do I fight this?
I read that it may come from over feeding the fishes, but I only feed them once a day in the evening.
I also have one 25W T5 lightbulb switched on from around 2pm to about 10pm and then moonlight for an hour or two. Is that too long? I put some Anti Hair Algae cure but it doesn't seem to work.
I plan to put off the lights completely for a day or two and leave just the moonlight on - will my plants be OK with that? Will the fishes be OK with that?

There isn't too many plants so I have no CO2 or anything like that. I also didn't use any plant fertiliser for a while.

Wow, it's a lot of questions but I sure do need help...

Attachments

• image-2576898090.jpg
    image-2576898090.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 125
  • image-2253237807.jpg
    image-2253237807.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 129
  • image-94398348.jpg
    image-94398348.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 131
It's a tricky question believe it or not :)
The current tank is about 2 months old but only because I had moved all the stuff (gravel, pump, fishes, etc...) from smaller one I had for about 10 months.
I had some algae in the previous tank, they just weren't so big nor there was that many of them.

Seems sometimes that in a new tank I have slight hair alge problems I just let it grow then it goes away a few weeks later...i dont think its anything to bad...probably something with phosphates...sometimes I grab a phosphate sponge from the lfs..

Same water?

What do you mean?
If you're asking if I had the water from the old tank, then yes, I used most of the old water and then top it up with the new one.

If you're asking about water changes then I do them once a week, about 10-15%. I'm not using any tap-safe conditioners, just let the water stand in the bucket for a couple of days to make sure there's no chlorine anymore and straight to the tank.

Might get some conditioner...u should b fine after a few weeks id just go about like normal...if its still there after a few more months then u might have a problem but I wouldn't b suprised if it all disappeared one week soon..

It's a tricky question believe it or not :)
The current tank is about 2 months old but only because I had moved all the stuff (gravel, pump, fishes, etc...) from smaller one I had for about 10 months.
I had some algae in the previous tank, they just weren't so big nor there was that many of them.

Same Filter? That's the important part of an established tank.

No, filter has been changed as well.
Although I had two filters running for about two weeks and then media from the old filter went to a new one for another two weeks the tank went through some sort of mini-cycle-- I had some issues with ammonia, nitrates and nitrites for about a week but it's all clear now.

You look like you have staghorn algae, especially the 2nd and 3rd pics. It generally crops up when you have ammonia problems, such as you described.

The thing about phosphate is that people often blame it for algae, but it doesnt have such an important role as people tend to think. I dose straight K2PO4 into my tank and I don't have that much algae.

Also, please note that while letting water stand will offgas chlorine, chloramine will remain. Many cities have switched over from chlorine, so you might be damaging your bacteria with that. I would highly recommend getting a water treatment.

PS: Your plant doesn't look aquatic. Is it a peacock fern?

You look like you have staghorn algae, especially the 2nd and 3rd pics. It generally crops up when you have ammonia problems, such as you described.

No wonder then that I can't see any results with my Anti-Hair-Algae treatment... I think I can stop using it then? For now I have decided to not turn the light on for a two or three days. I also bought (and added already) some plant nutrition from Interpet, that is saying not to have any Nitrates or Phosphates that would encourage the algae grow. But on the other hand I have algae already and they're plants after all... So my thinking is - the algae either choke on the fertiliser and die (!) or I'll have some Monster Algae in my tank. Any other ideas on how to fight with this?

PS: Your plant doesn't look aquatic. Is it a peacock fern?

According to my other thread it's Wisteria, but doesn't looks like it to me after I googled it... I think you might be right with peacock fern!

I think I start using some water treatment after all - any recommendations?

If it were my tank, I would pass up the "Hair algae treatment" products (they're mostly snake oil in my eyes) a nuke it with Excel. Your vals probably wouldn't be to keen on that though...

I use Prime to treat the water for my big tank, and Stress Coat for smaller tanks.

Fert dosing is all about the great planted take trinity: lights, CO2, and ferts. Light drives the need for ferts and CO2. Any one component being out of balance allows of opportunistic life (algae or BGA) to thrive. More than anything, it will be about seeing what kind dosing your tank needs.

Too much light and not enough CO2 = BBA
Too much light and not enought ferts = GDA/GSA
Too much ferts w/o enough CO2 = Hair Algae
Too much lights w/o enough ferts (nitrate)= BGA
Young tank or silicates = diatoms

I generally dose according to my plants/algae rather than what other people think I need.

PS: IMO, none of those pictures looked like wisteria... I'm leaning towards peacock fern even more.

What is this Excel thing? Can I find it in the UK?
I pass on the Anti-Hair algaea. Won't turn the lights on today as well (which won't be hard as I'll be away whole evening anyway).

I'm not sure about the whole CO2 thing... What does it cost and how do I install it in the first place?
Thanks for the peacock fern :D

This stuff is hard to get rid of. I've heard it is usually caused by an imbalance in the nutrients in your tank. Removing it manually is difficult at best and not to many things will eat it except for siamese algae eaters.

You can remove the items from the tank and soak them in a mild bleach solution, just not too long (about 2 minutes MAX). Be sure to rinse the items thoroughly before putting it back in the tank.

Good luck!

Well... I'm not too keen with bleach solution. For now two days without the light and adding fertiliser seems to be doing the job as the algae lost a bit of colour and doesn't look to grow any bigger...
I plan to buy a new aquarium this coming Christmas (I wrote the letter to Santa already!) so I look into a CO2 systems as well. Or maybe someone could recommend me something?

Does hair algae die off if everything else balances out? Or does it stay at where it left off waiting to continue?

aqua_chem said:
It will slowly die off. It might treat you to a color spectacle in the process too. Mine turned pink.

Hmmm. I got hair algae because I stopped my DIY co2. Wonder if it'll get a lot more worse before it gets better.

I started with a plant fertiliser and algae doesn't seem to be growing any bigger. They didn't die as well though :) But my shrimps and mollies love them now, so I guess scrubbing my ship decoration may wait a while :)

Back
Top Bottom