Hair algae and riccia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thever

Aquarium Advice Activist
Has anybody tried to dip riccia in a solution to help kill off the hair algae tangled in it. Or am I doomed to rake the yard every few days to keep it under control? I've heard of other such procedures for other plants. Thanks

Kevin

Thever,

I had a small problem with hair algae in my Riccia. I then picked up about a half dozen Amano shrimp. They have been going to town on my algae, both on the riccia and the java ferns. They really do a great job picking the algae off and leaving the plant intact. The little guys are always active, picking at this, or cleaning that. I think they make a great and interesting addition to the tank, and do an excellent job with algae cleanup.

FYI, I also have a few ghost shrimp, but they are not nearly as effective. They stick more to the gravel than the plants, in my short experience. Anyway, maybe something to try to at least assist in your algae cleanup. Just in a few days with them in the tank, I noticed a difference.

Thanks,

I have 2 algae eating shrimp, and 2 cherry shrimp right now plus a platoon of ramshorn snails and and some other types i'm not sure of, in a 10 gallon.

I guess its not a bad thing, just need to stay on top of it.

Back
Top Bottom