Hair Algae Overload

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

titangoddess

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have hair algae in my 75 gallon planted. The funny thing is I looked up how to get rid of it and found tons of places that just said to pull it off and remove it and I found a handful that said you can treat it with algae killer. :angel: Yah, no.. I did the algae killer and the hair algae exploded within 6 hours. It was small and still white before now it is just this pretty green color and a lot longer. It hasn't spread but it has grown. So needless to say the killer did not work. My fish are all doing well in the tank. I have just worked so hard on this tank and really dont want anything to destroy it. Any suggestions?

How much light? CO2? Ferts? Plant choice?

I use Envy for my ferts and I add Leaf Zone every two weeks as a boost. I have just started using the Envy two weeks ago and that is pretty much when the algae really started.

I have two T-8's and a double t-5 for the lights. They are all 24" so I have them set up with the 8's in the front and the 5 in the middle back. I do not use CO2 yet. I wanted to get it all set up and I needed the extra time to save up for the CO2 system I want which is around 435.00. I was throwing around the idea of liquid till I got the co2 system. I have 75 gallons so it is going to be pricey.

I have a variety of beginner plants in there. Dwarf grass, one small anubis, christmas moss, lugiana (SP?), bocaco (sp?), water lillies, peacock fern (green one not the red one) some dwarf swords and a few I have no clue as I bought them as bulbs and forgot what they were by the time they bloomed. I have driftwood and a few slabs of slate for the breeding cave. I like the bright green plants so I try to stick towards that. The lilly is red, very red. I will be removing that as it gets so big so fast. Thanks for the advice and help. None of my fish are plant eaters.

Back
Top Bottom