"Hair" on saggitaria and brown spots on java fern (w/pics)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

resist-

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a novice currently cycling my 10 gals with 3 saggitarias and 1 java fern, but i'm having problems with my plants right now.

My setup is:

2*13watt (fluocompact)

Last tests:
Ammonia: 2
Nitrite: 4
Nitrate: 30

No CO2

Between 12 to 14 hours of lighting / day.
Very small snail appeared, but they are not too invasive so far i've been able to remove them one by one.

Now, one saggitaria has some "hair" on it's leaves (look at 1st pic). Looks like algae, but i'm not quite sure. And I really don't know what to do with that.

Java fern has some brown spots on it (2nd pic). and i'm ocnfused about what to do.

I was planning to go buy some snail killing products, since they is not fish in the tank. Any other advice about what I should do to help my plants ?

Attachments

• sag.jpg
    sag.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 96
  • java.jpg
    java.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 117
I am no expert but you might wanna check your phosphates(sp). Looks like hair algae too me, I have the same problem atm and that is what I was told to do.

I'm still fairly new with planted tanks myself, but I've been doing lots of research. I, too, have a hair algae outbreak which is really getting out of control. I have a flagfish on order that will hopefully help to eat it. The brown spots on your fern are not a problem. I have them as well and when mine had the spots, roots began to grow from them. I believe that is signs or reproduction. The hair algae has not hurt my plants just very unattractive. I've read you can spot dose it with a syringe using florish excel or hydrogen peroxide. I have not tried this yet because im working on "starving" it out but really boosting plant growth. I'd try it in your tank being as it looks like it is just beginning. Good luck!

I tested my phosphates, and they are around .25 ppm, so I guess that's not the source of the problem.

I also tested PH, and it was 6, compared to 7.2 a week ago.

Maybe I just don't have enough plants ?

The brown spots are normal for java ferns. They will reproduce from those. Eventually you'll notice a leafy growth from some of them along with a long 'root' (which I believe will be the rhizome? .. Im new at this as well so bare with me.. I'm just going from what I see in my tank.)

I will do a hydrogen peroxide spot treatment tonight, i'll keep you updated after

Cut down your lights to 8-10 hours a day. Excess lighting can cause algae too. :)

I would recommend adding more plants as well. The plants you have are relatively slow growing. Try adding in some Anacharis and/or Hornwort. They are low light, faster growing plants. They will probably take in some ammonia and help boost your cycle along.

Back
Top Bottom