Hairgrass: are root tabs enough?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawkins409

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm on day 4 of my third attempt at dwarf hairgrass (see profile picture taken yesterday). The good news is that I have made lots of changes since my first attempt (better bulbs, cutting light time down and automated Co2). All of my plants are growing like crazy and algae is at bay. So... I thought it was time to try dwarf hairgrass again.

So, my question: Will root tabs be enough for frets with dwarf hairgrass? It has been fine with the other plants.

I don't want to disturb the balance I have going by adding any more ferts than I need.

What substrate are you currently using? I find that my DHG has done well with water column fert dosing. I've grown it using flourish comprehensive on one occasion..while the other successful time was through the PPS-Pro method of fert dosing. Both times with co2 and at least moderate lighting. Are you monitoring your co2 with a drop checker to know you're getting around 30ppm of co2 dissolution (lime green from a drop checker)?

Also, if you bought the DHG emersed grown, like what you'd find at petsmart in those gel packs, then it will take a while to acclimate and start growing... it will sometimes melt a bit in transition. Just keep the lights, co2, and ferts going and they'll bounce back.

Root tabs won't hurt.. most plants will utilize both of what's available.

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. I am using Caribsea Floramax substrate. I am not monitoring Co2 with a drop checker. Instead, I've just monitor the ph (keeping it around 7.2) and hardness of the water. The HG is type from PetsMart, so yeah, it is grown in that gel stuff.

Oh so you have a pH controller?

I've grown DHG in Floramax before...no root tabs, just flourish comp. It wouldn't hurt to put one though because Floramax isn't that nutrient rich.

Yeah, i have a ph controller. All of my plants started really thriving once I added the Co2 system with the ph controller. It took the bad variable (me) out of the equation :)

So I've added root tabs in the substrate where I've planted the DHG. Bottom line: you think I need some liquid ferts too?

Yeah, i have a ph controller. All of my plants started really thriving once I added the Co2 system with the ph controller. It took the bad variable (me) out of the equation :)

So I've added root tabs in the substrate where I've planted the DHG. Bottom line: you think I need some liquid ferts too?

I think liquid or dry ferts would be helpful to use in conjunction with the root tabs.

Back
Top Bottom