Hairnet Riccia in a Few Easy Steps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

travis simonson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Riccia fluitans is one of my all-time favorite plants so I thought I would throw up a step-by-step walkthrough of how I do it. Mind you, this is not how everyone does it, but I find it to be the simplest, easiest way to do it. Of course I'm fairly lazy and always look for the easiest way to do anything :p

Step 1

Get some Riccia. Got it? Well you're halfway there my friend :)

Step 2

Get yourself some hairnets and some cable ties. Both sold at your friendly neighborhood Walmart. Although I get some strange stares from the cashiers when I come up to the register with a huge pile of hairnets and several packages of zip ties :p

Step 3

Find some large, fairly round rocks. I recommend rocks anywhere from 2-4" in diameter and somewhat flat for the best effect.

Step 4

Arrange the materials:

Hairnet_Riccia_03_x800.jpg

Step 5

In this case I don't have any Riccia but imagine I do. Spread it in a fine layer over the top of the rock and a bit down the sides. It will drape nicely. You just need a very thin layer that completely covers the surface you're working with. Once you've done this place the hairnet over the rock:

Hairnet_Riccia_04_x800.jpg

Step 6

Turn the rock over and tighten the hairnet by twisting it as shown and fasten it snugly with a cable-tie:

Hairnet_Riccia_05_x800.jpg

Step 7

Clip the extra hairnet and the tag end of the cable-tie off with scissors so that there is very little extra material hanging out:

Hairnet_Riccia_06_x800.jpg

Step 8

Flip the completed Riccia rock over and place in tank:

Hairnet_Riccia_01_x800.jpg

Within a few days the Riccia should begin to grow through the hairnet and in about two weeks you should have a nice looking Riccia rock. The best part about this method is that, should you desire, you can simply pick the Riccia rock up and move it to a new position in the tank if you decide you don't like its placement. You will need to redo the procedure roughly every 1.5-2 months as the Riccia will outgrow itself and begin to come loose from the rock. Hope this helps :)

Good timing. I just got a shipment of riccia from somone with the intitials TS :), and was trying to figure out how best to use it.

I'm also half-toying with the plastic canvas sandwich background used sometimes with mosses. I certianly have enough of it...

Riccia is doing ok in the plastic canvas sandwich, but the X-mas moss is out-competing it. I do have a spare rock here, maybe I'll try it Travis's way before it gets choked out.

Back
Top Bottom