halogen desk lamp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elle2

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is fairly heavily planted and I have very poor light. I tried to pick only low-light plants but even for this I suspect I will not have enough light (15 W- 20 G tank).

I am definitely planning on getting a new light but because I have to have a top custom made it will be a while before I get around to it.

I am wondering if shining my halogen desk lamp on the plants will make any difference at all in the meantime?

Nope, halogens are like expensive heaters when it comes to plants. almost no useable light as far as they're concerned.

Try some compact floros, they can be had for $5-10 at any place that sells lightbulbs.

If you are using a halogen lamp, you can almost certainly follow the above advice and switch to a CFL.

The specific CFL you probably want is sold by Wal-Mart. The name brand is Lights of America, which I beleive is the Wal-Mart brand.

The low wattage version of these is sold in the Wal-Mart aquarium center- Usually you can find a 10 watt version there, or maybe it was a 15.

They have higher wattage versions over in the light bulb section. The one you want specifically states on the back of the package that it has a 6200(?) Kelvin light spectrum. I might be wrong about the exact number there- it might be 6500 or 6700, but it's definately in the 6000's.

You want to avoid the GE and probably the Phillips version of the lights- They are they wrong spectrum. The Lights of America brand comes in varieties from about 10 watts to, I beleive 37 watts, while staying in the right spectrum. They make a higher wattage one, I beleive it was 40 watts, but it had a different color spectrum. If you want as much light as possible, the 25 watt one was the largest I found that fit into an aquarium fixture.

While you are in this area of Wal-Mart, look at the other CFL bulbs- These lightbulbs are more expensive then normal incandesents, but if you replace the 5 most used lightbulbs in your house with them, they will probably pay for themselves in reduced electricity bills in a few months, and last for years.

Yes, the higher wattage CF's at Walmart are 6700k, perfect for planted tanks. I have 2 20W CF's in my 10G, and it's awsome.

I kept some java ferns alive with a halogen desk lamp, but the usable spectrum on them is poor, so it takes a TON of halogen watts to make a difference for higher light plants.

thus the screw in power compacts make more sense.

Back
Top Bottom