Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-14-2007, 10:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Happy Ending

I recently received a generous portion of Riccia from Travis,(free I might add) unfortunately, most of it was mush. It was beautifully packaged, just took a while to get here and it's been very hot for the last two weeks. Didn't think I could salvage any of it. I washed all the dead smelly stuff away, put the rest in this little plastic box and stuck it on the driftwood in my ten gallon, crossed my fingers. This stuff is tough, it's only been 4 days and it's coming back strong, pearling like crazy and greening up nice. Check it out

90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:21 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

If that's after onjly 4-5 days of recovery, that's pretty impressive!

55 gal FW
bristlenose / 2 otos / 5 corys / 12 platys / 4 giant danios / 6 serpae
DanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 11:43 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I'm a little scared...is it a new strain of SuperRiccia?

RUN!

Remember that Darwin was mostly right!
plecoperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Awesome! I have mixed feelings about Riccia. Very cool plant, but definitely high/medium maintenance. It's kinda like playdoh though - you can do almost anything with it.

You tank looks beautiful. I really like the simplicity thing you have going there. Can't see where you might plan on adding that stuff into the scape...
dapellegrini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 12:43 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for the comments, super Riccia! I love it lol! Got the Riccia Fri morning.
This tank is currently under 65 wts cf lighting, ten hours a day. 1 bubble per second C02 injection, pressurized. My only high light tank at the moment.

I don't plan on putting the Riccia in this tank, but ya never know!
I plan on getting some needlepoint plastic grids I've seen on Steve Hamptons site, great idea.
I may try to grow the Riccia as a background plant by attaching the plastic grids to the back glass with suction cups, or do a cool extended foreground by shaping the grids into some cool design. Not sure yet, should be interesting. I'm just happy it is coming back. May have to set up another tank to try it in. Got a couple of bags of eco floating around here just waiting for a home! Never been able to find this plant in my neck of the woods, never had it before. A big thank you to Travis
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
Old 08-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Looking great....
Old 08-17-2007, 11:10 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Man, bold and neat tank.

wet.biggiantnerds.com
czcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey czcz, great to hear from you, thanks for the comments. Post some pics of what you've been up to, very curious

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com