Hard Water Plants...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ikon

Aquarium Advice Activist
When purchasing plants how can I tell which plants can tolerate hard water ?

I have hard water here .

Also , does it matter which kinda rocks/gravel I use for plants ?

How deep should it be ?

Unless you are going for something exotic (say Eriocaulons) most every plant is going to like harder water for the nutrients.
I was watching a DVD of one of the AGA conventions where Claus Christensen was talking about exploring aquatic plants in the Mato Grosso, Brazil. There he notes that most of the water is fed from natural springs and is very hard (above 10 dKh/Gh). He also notes that some few pools are rain fed only, and very soft. The spring fed pools have a greater variety and more robust growth of plants in general. He says that while some plants may live and do ok in the softer water, mostly due to lack of competition, that the hard water is where you find the most robust examples of any given species.

Zezmo said:
Unless you are going for something exotic (say Eriocaulons) most every plant is going to like harder water for the nutrients.
I was watching a DVD of one of the AGA conventions where Claus Christensen was talking about exploring aquatic plants in the Mato Grosso, Brazil. There he notes that most of the water is fed from natural springs and is very hard (above 10 dKh/Gh). He also notes that some few pools are rain fed only, and very soft. The spring fed pools have a greater variety and more robust growth of plants in general. He says that while some plants may live and do ok in the softer water, mostly due to lack of competition, that the hard water is where you find the most robust examples of any given species.

so by your logic .. i should be ok with most kinds of plants ?

look at Travis Simonson's plants. those are hard water i believe since he keeps them with african rift lake cichlids

Zezmo said:

well i finally got my red sea co2 kit today .. how long shud i wait till i fire it up .. right now i have 3-5 java ferns , 1 ancharis , and a red ludwiga...

Back
Top Bottom