Harlequin Rasboras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DASHRIMPMONSTER

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon high already with 5 black skirt tetras and 7 neon tetras. Can I add harlequin rasboras
PH 8.7ish GH 8 KH 18 Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 10

For the amount of fish you have it wouldn't be a problem. But the pH would possibly be a problem. The like lower to 7.5 pH. If you get them from a lfs which keeps them in this pH and they look happy active and healthy, then maybe they have adapted to the higher pH.

K. How to lower the Ph, and also, is there a reputable place you know of to get them.. I’m having second thoughts on getting them from Petco :fish2::fish2::thanks:

Actually, your link says that fish will adjust to this ph, and I should not worry:):cool:
And how many can I get in the school

Yes, that adjustment can work, if the fish were raised in the somewhat similar range less issue about adjustment, and talking to a reputable fish store person, find out if they have any issues with them dying if they also have similar pH as your water.

What kind of filter are you using and what sized tank is it rated for / or your gallons per hour for the filter?

Is your tank cycled with a colony of BB - keeping nitrite at 0, and ammonia and nitrate at safe numbers?

Do you do weekly water changes and how much water?

If your tank is cycled and you have a stable tank with good maintenance routine then you might try 7-8.

Do you have any bottom fish?

I have BB
No bottom fish
Tank is cycled
I have a quiet flow 10 led power filter
And where should I get the rasboras from

You might want to look at the location which 1st provides the best condition fish, and then the best advice to help you.

Lfs can be a really good resource to help you, and getting their good "free advice" makes up for often an additionally more expensive fish. Especially when starting out, getting good advice is critical to the happy and healthy aquarium.

You want to look for clean tanks, not a bunch of dead fish all over the place. Fish do die frequently after being shipped, that is not unusual. Are the fish looking bright and swimming curiously and have nice looking fins upright and "happy" looking.

Are there any spots on the fish / Ich?

Fuzzy growths anywhere around?

Grey/white tank patches on fish near the ones you are looking for...???

Stay away and wait for a good batch.

I have got bad/sick fish from good stores and good fish from bad stores (I try not to do that any more).

Often it is better to wait a couple days after the fish arrive to the store after shipping to see if they stay well enough to make it through the first couple days.

Side thought:

Can you slide in an additional filter pad to the filter compartment?

That filter is a minimal size for your tank. And needs to have more room in the filter pads to build up as much BB, why I wonder about adding an additional pad if possible.

Theres no LFS that is less than 32 minutes away, except for petco and petsmart, where all the fish are dead... I went there, and the only fish they had were black skirt tetras, which probably arent doing well

Well if the tanks are not looking good where you are and the other is 32 minutes ot more away, healthy fish are worth it. Even if you drive that far and they do not look good, make another trip again later.

You can call ahead and ask if they have them and if they look good and healthy. I recently have had 2 visits when I went to get fish in a 40-min to an hour independant lfs and once they ran out (had then the day before) the next time it was Ich on the fish and then I called and they still looked bad the next week. So NO fish for over a month, that time.

Do the best you can to find healthy ones.

And I squeezed another filter cartridge in there, and also, I can't go too far too often, since Im just a kid, and my dad charges me for transportation. My only money is from doing the dishes... Also, I didn't include my Malaysian Trumpet Snails in my stocking.. they are shipping, will there be any problems with those?

Your a kid and your Dad charges you for transportation ??? Yikes !! Anyway, I don't know why everybody dumps on Petco. Just like anyplace else, you just have to look at there stock carefully. My local Petco has better fish than the local ' boutique' shop 99% of the time. Cheaper too ! I got 14 Rasboras for the price of 8 when this Corona crap started because they were trying to empty there tanks and when I called I asked for 8. The local guy would never do that. They also charged me $2 a piece versus $3.99 at the lfs.TWICE the price for the same fish.Don't be afraid of Petco or Pet Smart, I think they get a bum rap on most forums. It's important to support your local shop, but you have to use your own judgment. Good Luck ! MTS are great in any tank. You will have no problem with those. Great to see younger people getting into the hobby !!

Maybe but I’m under the conclusion they do not reproduce in freshwater? Only brackish?
The thing about amanos are they’re HUGE when full grown like 2x cherry shrimps so I think no more than six will do.

I’ll get 4, but introduce all at once today? I don’t want to take a lot of trips since my dad is charging me $2 there and $2 back:fish1:

Sounds great!

Maybe some additional yardwork at home (or with parental approval at trusted locations) or helping get extra chores could help with your fish budget and transportation expenses. Hope they stay well.

Amanos will not really add additional load, maybe a small fish worth, for a group of 6. Their cleaning work is more valuable than the concern of their bioload.

Best to wait on shrimp until the tank has been running stable / no problems at least 2-3 months after cycle. It allows lots of microscopic organisms to develop and help the shrimp have a good grazing food source.

I’ve seen bubbles float up from the gravel, for like 2 months. Does that mean that bb is ding it’s work? I had amanos before, and they didn’t eat any algae, hid, were not active, and died in 2 weeks:( should I add this 60 gallon sponge filter that I was thinking of adding?

Back
Top Bottom