Have I over done it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kramer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally am getting into plants, and so on Sunday I went to my LFS and purchased this strip-light for my 33 gal aquarium as per their recommendation:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=24081;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

The thing is, its 3.3 W/g and since its PC now I realize wouldnt that make it more close to 4 W/g?

On top of that, the guy said I can just place it over-top my aquarium and thats what I've done, but when I got it home and looked more closely at the box it says you need a glass shield, so Im worried about that.

With all that wattage do you think I am going to have major algae problems, and is it OK that theres no glass shield?

So im thinking im going to exchange it for this one:
http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29551;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

what do you think about this

btw, im going to try fashoning a CO2 bottle thingly tonight :eek:

I calculated your WPG at about 5.8 110*1.75/33= 5.8

That is a high light tank. Algae always is a concern with that much light, however, you can keep a tank with that much light if you are dedicated to it. It would have to be heavily planted to make sure plants are out competeing algae, and you will have to dose ferts as well as utilize pressurized CO2.

All these things ensure that the plants get the nutrients and light and starve the algae (so it doesn't show up).

You should be able to find a glass canopy for your tank, however, doesn't this fixture have some kind of barrier between the light bulb and the water? I know the current brand do. Don't use this light until you have some kind of barrier in place, or the light is elevated out of the way of any splash caused by a spray bar or filter return to ensure that no moisture gets into the bulb socket. You could always hang it from the ceiling so that it is elevated above the tank. Be sure that if you don't have a canopy, that you don't drop it in your tank for obvious reasons.

Here is a link to cheap ferts

www.gregwatson.com

Here is a link to CO2 injection

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=43055

I calculated your WPG at about 5.8 110*1.75/33= 5.8

For light output, It's 131%, not 175%.. Making the light 4.4WPG.. This will definately cause a tank crash if you don't get Co2 on there quick and make sure all your nutes are up to par..

Guess the store doesn't realize that more light doesn't equal more growth.. More light requires more nutrients for faster growth.. Hence unstable.

Co2 I would definately start with 2 x 2l Bottles and an active reactor. Passive isn't going to cut it.. You can hook one up to the output of a filter or powerhead.. the design is in the DIY section.

Best get that in order before you juice the lights.. Also, I have mine (5 x 4' bulbs) over open water, but they are also 8-9" above the water level (and warm enough that condensation isn't an issue.)

egads 5.8W??? 8O

Well darn I think that is a bit much for me.

Yeah this fixture didn't come with any things to mount it above my aquarium.

So heres some options:

Im thinking I could purchase a 65W retrofit kit that could go atop of my old glass canopy.

Or I could just put this existing light on top of the old canopy and that would cut off a good chunk of the light but that seams wasteful lol.

OR I was thinking at my LFS they sell these cool little lilly pad like plants that just float on the surface and it looks like they could be pretty good as "cloud" cover.

Or I could purchase this: http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=31566;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
There are no 55-65W ones at 36" but 30" would be workable

Sooo i dont know what to decide :x

Man I really wish I knew that 1.75 rule about PCs. What a n00b I am not to do my research :lol:

------edit----------

@Wizzard~Of~Ozz

ahh ok so 1.31. Well thats a bit of a relief.

With 96W could I use Passive CO2 method? (by passive you mean I can use the simple bottle and bubble into an inverted cap method?)

my brain hurts lol

--------update---------

So for now in the mean time I put the old cover on that was meant for my old 20W with the light strip on-top. I figure its blocking about 20-25% of the light from the strip so that would put me to about 3.5Wpg I thinks.

With as much light as you are dealing with, you'll be a lot more sucessful if you use an active diffuser like Wizzard~Of~Ozz suggested. There are many options available that can be DIY along with the rest of the setup.

You can plumb the CO2 into your filter. Noise and airlock are possible problems with this method.
The powered reactor in this article is very popular.
For something that doesn't take up as much space you could try this inline version or this one.

Passive - Release the bubbles into the water, let what can be absorbed in their rise to the surface, or Hold them under water. Either case it requires contact with still water.

Active - Force water through Co2..

Think of your bell reactor you mentioned (inverted cap).. On it's own, it's passive.. The water absorbs what it can and is restricted to the slow movement of water that passes under it. Now, add a stream of water through that same bell reactor (would have to be top to bottom, or the Co2 just get's pushed out the top), You have an active reactor. You are forcing water to make contact with the Co2, rather then letting it do it's own thing. Absorption of a good active reactor (Mine is an Aquamedic 1000 style reactor) can increase absorption rates by 15-20 times.. Mine will dissolve over 10 Bubbles Per Second (BPS).. I have mine set that high since I have a controller that turns it off, so you can set your bubble rate as high as you want provided you don't exceed the efficiency of your reactor, Which with a common passive reactor you would have to, in order to build up a sufficient level..

96W still puts you into manditory Co2 @ about 4WPG..

Im estimating Im now using between 3 and 3.5Wpg now that I did a more thorough measurement. So im debating wether to keep this, or buy a retrofit. If I keep it Ill need the active CO2 and the cost to replace the bulbs would be higher.

If i get this 65W retrofit: http://www.bigalsonline.ca/catalog/product.xml?product_id=32859;category_id=1873;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
Ill have around 2.5Wpg, though It wouldnt harm the plants I put in my tank. The bulb is a 50/50 half True Actinic and half Daylight lamp. Does anyone know if this type is alright for plant growth? Looks like its for saltwater

Only half of the 50/50's light is usuable by plants. The actinic light may help to produce bushier growth, but is not counted in with the total light for your tank.

Back
Top Bottom