HC Carpet Choking Stem Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Austin.b

Aquarium Advice Addict
Once my carpet grows out, will it surround and kill the stem plants around it? Should I cut a water bottle and just stick the plastic in the substrate to prevent the roots from spreading too close to the stem plants? Thanks in advance!

I'm going to have it very thin all the time, but should I still place the plastic in the substrate just in case?

I wouldn't bother but everybody has different methods. Most people who grow HC don't use a barrier for their stem plants but it could mean less work for you later (less trimming). Your stems should be fine either way. As long as water is flowing over the stems they'll get what they need, assuming your water is all good. By the look of your tank (beautiful btw) you seem to have your system set up nicely!

CorallineAlgae said:
I wouldn't bother but everybody had different methods. Most people who grow HC don't use a barrier for their stem plants but it could mean less work for you later (less trimming). Your stems should be fine either way. As long as water is flowing over the stems they'll get what they need, assuming your water is all good. By the look of your tank (beautiful btw) you seem to have your system set up nicely!

Ok, I guess I'll pass on the barrier then. Thank you!!:)

Back
Top Bottom