HC Cuba in shock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, so I just planted several plugs of HC Cuba into my 30g. It's been almost two days, and I've yet to see any O2 bubbles released from the leaves. There were quite a lot when initially planted; could they be in shock? Am I worrying for no reason? I have sufficient light, I dose excel, nitrogen, and potassium. So far the HC have not turned yellow or brown. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Most of the time you don't get pearling when using only liquid carbon (Excel). They sound fine to me.

Most of the time you don't get pearling when using only liquid carbon (Excel). They sound fine to me.

Is pearling the term for the release of O2? I'm dosing excel in addition to CO2 injection though. Thanks!

Yes that is what it's called. I don't use CO2 but I do know not everyone who uses CO2 gets pearling. Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

Yes that is what it's called. I don't use CO2 but I do know not everyone who uses CO2 gets pearling. Sorry I can't be any more help than that.

Just because they're not pearling doesn't mean they're not conducting photosynthesis right? I just read that pearling only occurs if there's a saturation of O2.

It's not so much saturation as the plants are making O2 faster than it can dissolve into the water. If you're not pearling, then it just means that you're not photosynthesizing fast enough. Not necessarily a bad thing, and it can be dependent on a number of factors (flow, temp) besides plant things. It could also just be not enough CO2/light. I wouldn't worry about it unless your plants start to pout.

Back
Top Bottom