Hc dieing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Florio

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, just planted hc 4 days ago submerged.

About a 1/8th of them have turned yellow and died (maybe that's normal?)

I'm running co2 at about 3 bps my gh is at 3.3, kh is at 2.2

Dosing pps pro.

Fresh tank, used filter.

Ada aqua soil.

Light time:

Two t5 HO: 9:00-15:30
Other two t5 HO: 9:30-14:00

What am I doing wrong?

You dosing micro's to PPS pro? I wouldn't dose them at all with Ada soil. Seeing your water is very soft you could be getting toxicity.

You can dose calcium and magnesium to buff your water abit or a store brought GH booster.

What is your ph swing with co2? It should be dropping by 1.0

You dosing micro's to PPS pro? I wouldn't dose them at all with Ada soil. Seeing your water is very soft you could be getting toxicity.

You can dose calcium and magnesium to buff your water abit or a store brought GH booster.

What is your ph swing with co2? It should be dropping by 1.0
See I'm not sure how great my ada cause it's from a prior set up. Not sure there's much nutrients left.

I'm about to do a water change though so well see what happens. There shouldn't be much fert with pps pro

See I'm not sure how great my ada cause it's from a prior set up. Not sure there's much nutrients left.

I'm about to do a water change though so well see what happens. There shouldn't be much fert with pps pro

Even still I've been dosing micro's to EI (micro's are the same for PPS pro and EI) and my water is soft like yours. My water is getting toxic even at a 3rd of recommended dosage. If I don't dose micro's my plants look heaps better.

I'd lay off the micro's for 2 weeks and see if you have any improvements

Even still I've been dosing micro's to EI (micro's are the same for PPS pro and EI) and my water is soft like yours. My water is getting toxic even at a 3rd of recommended dosage. If I don't dose micro's my plants look heaps better.

At that rate they will be dead I think I need this wc. Is it acceptable to dose macros with pps pro?

Water change done. I will discontinue micros. Do I continue macros? I will continue with adding the gh. Do you recomend the 3.3 being okay? Should I increase kh?

Water change done. I will discontinue micros. Do I continue macros? I will continue with adding the gh. Do you recomend the 3.3 being okay? Should I increase kh?

You want 5+ GH 3+ kh. Ph swing of 1.0 for the 30ppm target of co2. Continue macros as normal. I wouldn't dose micro's untill you see deficiency

You want 5+ GH 3+ kh. Ph swing of 1.0 for the 30ppm target of co2. Continue macros as normal. I wouldn't dose micro's untill you see deficiency
It worked! No more yellowing and everything is growing FAST ty!!
1488245147874.jpg

It worked! No more yellowing and everything is growing FAST ty!!
View attachment 295653

Good stuff! Glad it's worked out for you [emoji1]
If you check out the deficiency toxicity thread by caliban you will see that a fair few people on this forum with soft water have had issues with dosing micro nutrients. It's a pretty interesting read if you have time to go through it [emoji106]

Good stuff! Glad it's worked out for you [emoji1]
If you check out the deficiency toxicity thread by caliban you will see that a fair few people on this forum with soft water have had issues with dosing micro nutrients. It's a pretty interesting read if you have time to go through it [emoji106]
Well I've always had troubles growing plants in my aquasoil, it kind of drove me crazy cause I spent all this money on it and it grew worse than my pebbles I used to have, never would have thought it was my micro dosing, especially using pps pro.

I broke my tank down for 3 years cause of it...

Anyways I will look at that read!

Well I've always had troubles growing plants in my aquasoil, it kind of drove me crazy cause I spent all this money on it and it grew worse than my pebbles I used to have, never would have thought it was my micro dosing, especially using pps pro.

I broke my tank down for 3 years cause of it...

Anyways I will look at that read!

Yea I'd say you'd have more than enough micro's in the aqua soil. Dosing micro's would push it over the edge and become toxic. However you may need to eventually dose micro's as your plants use up the nutrients in the substrate. You should be good for a long time though [emoji106]

Yea I'd say you'd have more than enough micro's in the aqua soil. Dosing micro's would push it over the edge and become toxic. However you may need to eventually dose micro's as your plants use up the nutrients in the substrate. You should be good for a long time though [emoji106]
What are symptoms of micro deficiency so I know if those aren't doing well?

What are symptoms of micro deficiency so I know if those aren't doing well?

The same as toxicity. So basically what you have been seeing before things got better. That's what makes toxicity so hard to determine. Lol it's a headache!

The same as toxicity. So basically what you have been seeing before things got better. That's what makes toxicity so hard to determine. Lol it's a headache!
Oh boy lol okay I'll watch out for it. Thanks my friend.

Glad things improved for you. I just added soil to my tank and so I'm keeping the nutrients at the roots. I'm feeding a bit more heavily than I was (which wasn't much) also considering adding more shrimp and snails. This will help replenish the soil more quickly and make it last longer.

Nutrients locked in the substrate keeps them away from algae too. I have literally no algae since adding soil.

PPS pro macro dosing should be fine. I'm going to switch to that. I think Bert may have been right all along with EI macros in that some nutrients are antagonistic and so excess of one can block uptake of others. This is why it's hard to pinpoint deficiencies because when you add more of the blocked nutrients things may improve as the competition is equalled but really all you had to do was reduce the nutrient/s that were in excess.

In terrestrial plants this chart applies. There have been many studies too:

IMG_2565.JPG

IMG_2563.jpg

The second chart shows the number of studies.

Whilst these chart are used by hydroponic growers it would be naive to dismiss them completely from our aquatic counterparts.

Many many factors at play though will depend on whether or not you experience this although I believe many are incorrectly targeting deficiencies when the problem is excess.

My tank turned in to a stunted mess rampant with algae and included fish and shrimp behavioural change and death.

Keep us posted. Would be good to document your case here for future reference.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/deficiencies-and-toxicities-of-plant-nutrients-354878.html

Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom