Heat from lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fireman731

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I have a 28 gal tank and I have some water wisteria java ferns and swords. I upgraded from the single t8 to a dual t5. Now my tank temp went up to 84.5. How can I keep my tank back to 80? Raise the lights higher? Run them shorter time periods?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's the aqueon 24" and I can't seem to find any legs made for it online. Ideas? In the mean time what can I do? The fish seem fine with no changes, I keep tetras and Cory's.

12 hours 7a-7p but I usually keep the AC cold at 68 at night and I do have a heater that's automatic it just never comes on anymore that I upgraded lights

Try doing a split photoperiod. 6 hours on, 3 off, 6 on.

Or cutting down on it altogether, 12 is a bit long.

If it gets excessively high freezing water bottles and floating them in the tank can help cool it down a bit.

Silly question, but is it possible that the thermometer (or probe) is just too close to the surface? It seem like it would take a significant amount of heat to raise the temperature of that much water almost 5 degrees... especially since it seems like room temperature is closer to 70F.

The thermometer is kinda in the middle of the tank from top to bottom and side to side. I mean it is possible that the thermometer is wrong. My heater just kicked on and it was set at 80 so.. One of the two is wrong! I tried turning down the heater I'll see if the temp drops maybe my heater isn't calibrated right and that's the problem not the lights.

Fixed it I'll be posting a new topic look for aqueon 24" fixture fix

Back
Top Bottom