help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fastfly48

Aquarium Advice Freak
hello.
im fastfly48 (ry's) sister. hes gone away on holiday, and he has put me in charge of looking after his aquarium. On Tuesday i realised that the c02 bubbeler had stopped. so today i got it refilled, but wen i got back home i couldnt get the c02 bubbling at the right speed.
there are 2 chamber-like compartments in the bubbler. the fist has larger slower bubbles, and the second one opens up into the aquarium with lots of little fast bubbles.
Wen he left there were 3 big bubbles per second (i think). But since ive changed the bottle, there are no big bubbles.
How many should be coming up per second?
How do i adjust the rate?
please help
from a worried sister.
shannae

Sounds like pressurized. How much longer will he be gone for? I don't think I would mess around with a CO2 system if I didn't know what I was doing (and I don't :)). You might be better off forgoing CO2 until he gets back. He may have algae problems or lose a few plants, but it's better than killing fish, I think.

You're a very good sister, btw.

Call him! Or email him. 2-3 big bubbles per second is a general rule of thumb, but you would do best asking him directly. There should be a knob that opens the flow of CO2 and perhaps a second knob (called a needle valve) that will let you fine tune the flow. He may only have the main knob (depends on the setup). Don't worry about the small bubbles thing (the defuser)... yet...

I wish my sister was resourceful as you!

Mosaic said:
Sounds like pressurized. How much longer will he be gone for? I don't think I would mess around with a CO2 system if I didn't know what I was doing (and I don't :)). You might be better off forgoing CO2 until he gets back. He may have algae problems or lose a few plants, but it's better than killing fish, I think.

I know you guys want to help her but the best course of action here is to do nothing. If there is no CO2 in the tank the worst thing that can happen is the plants won't grow as much and there might be some algae.

If you guys give her bad instruction and she screws something up she could kill his whole tank (fish).

Since he's only gone on holiday, it's best to wait and let him take care of it when he gets back. It will probably take him a couple minutes.

docrak said:
Mosaic said:

I know you guys want to help her but the best course of action here is to do nothing. If there is no CO2 in the tank the worst thing that can happen is the plants won't grow as much and there might be some algae.

If you guys give her bad instruction and she screws something up she could kill his whole tank (fish).

Since he's only gone on holiday, it's best to wait and let him take care of it when he gets back. It will probably take him a couple minutes.
if you followthat course of action, perhaps you should try to reduce the light on the tank if possible or even leave them off if he is not going to be gone that much longer...might help reduce some problems (only if it will be a couple of days)

fastfly48 said:
hello.
im fastfly48 (ry's) sister. hes gone away on holiday, and he has put me in charge of looking after his aquarium. On Tuesday i realised that the c02 bubbeler had stopped. so today i got it refilled, but wen i got back home i couldnt get the c02 bubbling at the right speed.
there are 2 chamber-like compartments in the bubbler. the fist has larger slower bubbles, and the second one opens up into the aquarium with lots of little fast bubbles.
Wen he left there were 3 big bubbles per second (i think). But since ive changed the bottle, there are no big bubbles.
How many should be coming up per second?
How do i adjust the rate?
please help
from a worried sister.
shannae

I am impressed you went and had his CO2 tank filled! My wife wouldnt even do that!!! :)

I agree with these guys, reduce the lighting a little, and turn off the large valve on top of the CO2 cylinder, to be sure its not coming out. How long will he be gone?

Back
Top Bottom