help analyzing room for improvement - layout

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kristap

Aquarium Advice Regular
This was my original layout plan - but I think that there are some underlying issues with my design which are restricting further growth. After 3 months, I expected some fill out and some recurring algae issues continue to nag. I would really appreciate any observations or thoughts you might want to share on inherent flaws in the layout.

This is my first planted tank and I wanted to balance low maintenance, hardy plants with an attractive garden look for some community fish. Nothing fancy.
layout_001.jpg

This pretty much looks exactly like it did 3 months ago when I added plants and pressurized co2.
IMG_0881.jpg

It's nice enough but I think that it could look nicer. The anubias in the front are starting to grow algae which I think means they are getting too much light. The narrow chain leaf swords are growing pretty tall which I think means they don't have enough light and are pretty pale, translucent to boot. The crypts are reproducing nicely and filling out but they seem to foster bba algae! The dwarg sags are doing the same, fostering bba, but are growing much more slowly. The java moss is doing really well as is the lotus in the center.

I'm not sure where to put the pygmy anubias - under the lotus - near the driftwood? Thought about moving the anubias at the front into the back to fill that out, eventually ;), but just kinda exasperated at this point and unsure of anything save that I really like my driftwood and rock.

Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated

48g
96w cf
pressurized co2
inline reactor
xp3 filter
ph:6.8
gh:6.8
kh:6.5
no3: 10ppm
dose: .5tsp kno3 3x week, .08 tsp k2so4 2x week
residents: gold nugget pleco, 14 danios, 4 hatchets, 3 ghost shrimp

front row anubias and sags in back with some bba on gravel
IMG_0868.jpg

crypts with bba on gravel between plants
IMG_0879.jpg

narrow swords in the wrong place? (with pleco snack)
IMG_0869.jpg

It is an attractive tank. I think it is a shame the anubias is hiding in the back, and think you should either trim the lotus low or move it behind the anubias. I think if you terraced java ferns on the tall driftwood, and let them take over it to keep with your low maintenece plan, it would give the anubias great shade and a cool hiding spot for your fish, especially should you add, say, a colorful betta or gourami. Just ideas -- I think once the plants get to fill out the rear corners, the whole thing will look sweet. A little PO4 will help the anubias. If they still have spot algae spreading, dose more. A fast growing plant will help beat bba.

czcz - this sounds like good advice, thank you. Do you have any thoughts on the viability of the narrow chain leaf sword plants? Am I doomed with only 2wpg so that I should maybe look to trade them away?

Great tank Krista :) I like czcz's planting advice. I would also suggest increasing your CO2 levels a bit to combat the BBA. It also appears that you plants are a bit pale with some yellowing of the leaves. You should start dosing a trace mix. Plantex CSM+B from www.gregwatson.com mixed at 1 TBLSPN per 500 ml of water and dosed at 10-15 ml every other day would work well for your tank.

I would not give up on the chain sword until adding traces following Travis's post. Apologies -- I did not notice you were missing traces, and would not be surprised if the swords perk and green up after a week or so. Good luck :)

also I'd consider a stem plant like ludwiga repens. it grows reasonalby fast.. gets a little height which you can use in this tank, and will eat enough nutrients to also help your algae problem.

I grew it on one watt per gallon and in 3, it is a nice plant.

Thanks for the traces tip - feeling kinda silly after all the reading that I have done. Anyway, just now finished ordering an lb from GW and am looking forward to some help from that :)

The ludwigia repens (the broadleaf, right?) is an attractive plants but I was worried that I didn't have enough light for it. It's a beautiful plant though and worth a try.

Back
Top Bottom